Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regiment/s ID needed please.

Sandie Hayes

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which regiment or regiments the men in the photo - I hope I've attached - were in.

I am trying to trace the records of my husband's uncle, the gentleman with the moustache, front right, but need his reg. to narrow my search.

I posted this photo on another forum, Rootschat, and like me, most who looked at it firstly thought it was Royal Army Medical Corps, but looking closer they could be from different regs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sandie

post-6825-1113605220.jpg

They all appear to be RAMC ("Rob All My Comrades" :lol: ).

I agree. Definately the "Linseed Lancers"! I think the soldier at top left appears to have a different badge because of the light reflection.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the "knuts" were? I've seen countless group photos titled as such and never quite understood it.

Dave.

Knut Important person, swanker.

General. From 1911 (OED). Attested in numerous sources.

This was possibly derived from a popular music hall song from 1914 by Arthur Wimperis, Gilbert the Filbert, the Colonel of the Knuts. F&G write that a ‘crude parody of the song was much used as a marching song’. A ‘knut’ was generally ‘a dandy, a fashionable or showy young man’ (OED, Partridge) and a jocular variant of ‘nut’.

http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/res/aehist/wwi/K.php

HTH,

Ann

Knut  Important person, swanker.

General. From 1911 (OED). Attested in numerous sources.

This was possibly derived from a popular music hall song from 1914 by Arthur Wimperis, Gilbert the Filbert, the Colonel of the Knuts. F&G write that a ‘crude parody of the song was much used as a marching song’. A ‘knut’ was generally ‘a dandy, a fashionable or showy young man’ (OED, Partridge) and a jocular variant of ‘nut’.

http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/res/aehist/wwi/K.php

HTH,

Ann

Thanks for that, Ann.

Dave.

Thanks for that, Ann.

Dave.

Thank you for your feedback. Now everyone seems to believe they are all RAMC I can send for medal card and then hopefully find records.

Thanks again

Regards

Sandie

Thanks for that, Ann.

Dave.

"I'm Gilbert the filbert, the knut with a 'k'"

Knut is also ancient Anlgo saxon for a person with a shaved head.

Squirrel

Knut is also ancient Anlgo saxon for a person with a shaved head.

Squirrel

trust a squirrel to know about (k)nuts :D

As others have confirmed, these are all RAMC. The photo is also taken in France, and dates from around 1916 by the look of the uniforms and equipment. Your man is also a Sergeant; which should help on the MICs.

As others have confirmed, these are all RAMC. The photo is also taken in France, and dates from around 1916 by the look of the uniforms and equipment. Your man is also a Sergeant; which should help on the MICs.

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I must admit I wasn't 100% sure of how many stripes he had, the others were clearly serjeants but it was difficult to see his - the eyes aren't what they used to be. This definitely helps with the medal list as there are not that many with his name who are serjeants.

Thanks again

Regards

Sandie