Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Danish speaker sought

Marco

Although I like to think I can get the jest of what this plaque is saying I would appreciate a translation.

Any Danish speakers about??

forum13.jpg

TIA!

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

I can get a translation for you. My friend is married to a Dane. It might take a couple of days. I'll get back to you next week unless somebody else does first.

Regards

Ali

Hi Marco:

Here Rests In French Soil

79 Young Danish Men From Slesvig.

They Gave Their Lives In

The War 1914-1918

Along With Thousands Of Their Countrymen

Who Fought In The German Army

For A Cause Which Was Not Theirs.

Peace Be With Their Souls!

This Place Is Maintained By

"The South-Jutland Foundation" In Denmark

And By The Town Of Braine.

Garth

Hi Marco:

No Problem. My Danish neighbour was over for a visit on Sunday. It only cost me a couple of beer and a few pickled herring to get a translation. :D

Garth

In January, 1999 I was sent an article for my Hellfire Corner website which told the story of Danes from Jutland who were among the 35,000 Danes obliged to serve in the German army. (6,500 or so were killed.)

To quote from this article:

Why all these Danes in the Great War?

In 1864 Denmark had been at war with Prussia and had lost the southern part of Jutland (Schleswig and Holstein) to the upcoming German Reich. Between Hamburg and Flensburg the population was mainly German, but from Flensburg and to the Danish border most people felt and spoke Danish in private and were longing for the day when they again could call the Danish king their sovereign. In the meantime, in August 1914, The Great War broke out and all German men between 20 and 45 (later it was from the age of 18) were called up to serve in the German Army - including the Danish thinking and talking young men in Soenderjylland (Jutland from Flensburg to the border). Many tried to flee across the border to Denmark, but with terrible consequences for the left families. Civil rights were taken from the families, farms and houses were expropriated without warning if the sons did not return to accomplish their duty.

(Unfortunately the author never replied to my emails when I was trying to get approval for the final layout of the article so it's still sitting on my hard disc.) :(

Tom

Thanks again to Garth for providing and Ali for offering. I take it Ali's translator can agree with the translation provided? Reason for asking is that it could be that the text was translated AFTER the beers :D

As it now is on the website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/layout/frames.ht...s/de_braine.htm

If you like Garth you can provide a last name so this can be added.

Regards,

Marco

Hi Marco:

I checked out the link you provided in your post. You've got a great site. I'll be back for future visits. Thanks for the offer, however I think the credit should go to my neighbour and friend:

Soren Larsen

Port Moody, B.C., Canada

Tom - I copied and pasted your post into an e-mail to Soren. He phoned me about an hour later hungry for more information. Is there any chance you could post or e-mail me the full text. Fully credited to the author of course. Thanks.

Garth

Thanks to all who brought us this info. re. these unfortunate Danes , forced by accident of geography to fight in a war that was not theirs.

• 2 weeks later...
(Unfortunately the author never replied to my emails when I was trying to get approval for the final layout of the article so it's still sitting on my hard disc.)

Publish and be damned, Tom

I think there is a memorial in Arhus Cathedral to the Danes of Southern Jutland who were forced into the German Army in the Great War.

I have a friend in East Jutland whose wife's Grandfather was forced into the German Army whilst living at Tonder.He was lucky and survived the Battle of the Somme.

This was part of Denmark which was given up by the Germans from the Treaty of Versailles which Denmark had lost to Prussia along with virtually the whole of Schleswig-Holstein in 1863 when the German population in the two Duchies called for self government and the Prussians annexed the two after defeating the Danish Army.The history of these events are well covered in Kolding Castle.

Regards

Frank East