Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of Grantown Shelters

Ken Wayman

In 1/South Staffordshire war diary I have encountered in June 1916 references to Grantown Shelters. I believe it was close to Albert as one entry refers to C and D Coys moving there from Grovetown. I've tried 'Rats Alley' and Gerald Gliddon but with no joy. Might any kind soul dig me out. please?

Ken

I did not find them exactly but a number of possibilities are listed on TrenchMapper. It is not uncommon to have variations in spelling etc.

Use Advanced Search but put in less, Grant not Grantown. (If Grantown had existed in the list, just Grant would have found it.)

Likewise with Grovetown, look for Grove. There are similar names. TrenchMapper now has nearly 50,000 points logged and that area has recently been re-surveyed, so I suspect a spelling difference may explain why they are hard to find.

Howard

TrenchMapper shows 2 unnamed shelters SE of Albert which might be the ones you are looking for:

image.png.c051b600675274e0652e8966521f2acf.png

Many thanks for your help, lads, much appreciated.

Ken

Ken

This thread from 2020 might help.

Brian

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/278025-grantown/#comment-2840676

EDIT The attached thread mentions that 95 FC RE (7 Div) were working on shelters at Grovetown and Grantown in April and May 1916. I refreshed my memory about this one. The WD of 7 Div A&QMG for May 1916 gives a map ref for Grant Town as L 4 c 7 10 in a list of dumps and there is a sketch showing the positions of Grovetown and Grant Town

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info