Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking Hellfire Corner road to Dragoon Farm

CathyB

I’m hoping to find some help locating the road / route between Hellfire Corner and Dragoon Farm in Ieper, and / or the Moat described as “encircling Ieper” in July 1917, please see photo. My great uncle 16th RiR (Pioneer) Batallion was one of the men mentioned as hospitalised. He died from the effects many years later. Going to Ieper next week and wonder whether it’s possible to trace his steps more closely, and come to remember him. Thank you 

IMG_0181.jpeg

Edited by CathyB

• Admin

Here’s a map which shows Hellfire Corner and Dragoon farm, plus the Ypres Moat. (Courtesy of The Topography of Armageddon) However, Hellfire Corner is now an extremely busy roundabout, as seen by the Google earth screen shot. It looks like Dragoon Farm was rebuilt more or less in the same place. 

IMG_0915.jpeg

IMG_0916.png

Thank you so much Michelle, I do appreciate it. My poor great uncle died from the gas in 1935 in a veterans hospital in Canada where he had to be sent to try and help his breathing. We will definitely get to the general area and take some time to remember him. 

Cathy

The War Diary of 16 Royal Irish Rifles, WO 95/2498/2, gives the exact co ordinates of the road which agrees with Michelle's map and names one man admitted to hospital gassed.

Brian

3 hours ago, CathyB said:

I’m hoping to find some help locating the road / route between Hellfire Corner and Dragoon Farm in Ieper, and / or the Moat described as “encircling Ieper” in July 1917, please see photo. My great uncle 16th RiR (Pioneer) Batallion was one of the men mentioned as hospitalised. He died from the effects many years later. Going to Ieper next week and wonder whether it’s possible to trace his steps more closely, and come to remember him. Thank you 

Put just Dragoon into Advanced Search in TrenchMapper, it gives you a list of possible points, amongst which is Dragoon Farm at map reference 28.I.4.c.4.2. Using the Bearing tool shows it is 1040 yards from Hellfire Corner on a bearing of 340 degrees.

Howard