Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deolali Government Cemetery

andrew pugh

Good afternoon all

I have looked on the CWGC website  for Deolali Government Cemetery, but it gives no information on how it was started. Can anybody enlighten me on this cemetery and how the casualties came to by buried in there, because some of them have dates of death for example Pte Mainwood W 7th North Staffordshire Regiment 06/05/1919.Surely these men could not have been involved in action to be buried there? and it is some considerable distance from any theatre of war. Can someone explain.

Kind Regards

Andy

50 minutes ago, andrew pugh said:

Good afternoon all

I have looked on the CWGC website  for Deolali Government Cemetery, but it gives no information on how it was started. Can anybody enlighten me on this cemetery and how the casualties came to by buried in there, because some of them have dates of death for example Pte Mainwood W 7th North Staffordshire Regiment 06/05/1919.Surely these men could not have been involved in action to be buried there? and it is some considerable distance from any theatre of war. Can someone explain.

Kind Regards

Andy

Have a look at a previous question on this cemetery

Deolali Government Cemetery

By stuart rowles
10 September , 2014 in Cemeteries and memorials

• Admin

At least during the main WW1 years there were some very large hospitals there. Most of the soldiers in the hospitals  would have been evacuated from Mesopotamia for medical reasons, then died in India. The cantonment was a large transit camp also. A 1919 death may possibly be an influenza death.

See the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Deolali https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Deolali

Maureen

Good Evening All

Sorry about the late reply. Thank you all for your information regarding Deolali Cemetery. It seems to be a bit of an oddball and unique place. I would have thought that casualties injured in Mesopotamia would have been transported and treated in nearby Egypt rather than the great distance to India, where in my opinion there would have been a greater chance of picking up a tropical diseases. But Thank you all again for your information.

Kind Regards

Andy