Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Forman of Peterhead

Allan1892

@horatio2 -- hoping you can assist me again.

Can you clarify the ships that he was on please. I have searched for Thalia but the only one that comes up is a Juno-class wooden screw corvette launched in 1869 and used as a base ship in 1915. Would this be the correct one?

A search for Pactulus brought up 'HMS Pactulus had been converted to a submarine depot ship in September 1912 and during 1914 to 1918 served at Ardrossan, Scotland with the 9th Submarine Flotilla during the war'. Would this be the correct one?

(image courtesy of the NA)

Screenshot 2023-11-19 135448.jpg

Can you give us this rating's details, please? Not now needed.

Another dreadful scan from TNA - almost unreadable when enlarged..

THALIA and PACTOLUS were parent ships for boats of the Auxiliary Patrol: THALIA (an old troopship hulk) was the parent for boats based at Cromarty and Peterhead.; PACTOLUS was parent for boats based in the Clyde.

Because of the poor scan I am unable to make out the names of the boats in which he actually served. Can you read all the entries in th colum headed "ARRIVAL" and the word inbrackets after PACTOLUS in the "TERMINATION" column? 

Edit: could the anme be GOOSANDER? 

Edited by horatio2

6 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Can you read all the entries in th colum headed "ARRIVAL" and the word inbrackets after PACTOLUS in the "TERMINATION" column? 

Arrival column -- I think it reads HM 'Goosander; from shore Aberdeen

Termination column -- I can see Goosander after Pactulos

GOOSANDER was a Liverpool trawler, hired by the Admirallty for minesweeping 9/1/15;  she was based on THALIA from 9/3/16 and transferred to PACTOLUS 17/2/17.