Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Impression

CheshireRifles

Hello. 
Great War Forum 

I'm putting together a Territorial 2nd LT Officers impression.  For a personal project. 

Can anyone on this forum help me?

by trying to point me in the correct direction for these little T badges? 

Many thanks 

F6766073-5A1E-460C-9E26-2F01A0D4B994.jpeg

20 hours ago, CheshireRifles said:

Hello. 
Great War Forum 

I'm putting together a Territorial 2nd LT Officers impression.  For a personal project. 

Can anyone on this forum help me?

by trying to point me in the correct direction for these little T badges? 

Many thanks 

F6766073-5A1E-460C-9E26-2F01A0D4B994.jpeg

They were worn beneath the collar badge in exactly the way shown in your images.  The basic dress protocol was that if the collar badge was of service dress bronze for serge jackets then the T was bronze also.  If the collar badge was in gilding metal on service dress khaki drill then the T too was in gilding metal.

This use of letters was an old practice for auxiliary units of the army and before drab khaki service dress was introduced the letter was instead usually worn beneath the rank badge(s) on the shoulder strap (e.g. V for Volunteer, Y for Yeomanry and M for Militia).

For collars the letters were generally secured by blades piercing the cloth and bent over, and on shoulder straps by two loops held in place by a cotter pin.  In cases where regiments did not wear collar badges (often Rifles, or Highlanders) the T was worn on its own.  These T were often discarded after 1916 due to the universal nature of service following conscription.

IMG_7896.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_6063.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE