Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was he in the Boer War?

AnnieTaylor

Hello, 

My uncle, (John Quantrell. 341112/228223) I found on a 1901 census that he was a was a boy solider. 

Does anyone know If can find out if he served in South Africa? 

Thanks

Annie. 

53 minutes ago, AnnieTaylor said:

Does anyone know If can find out if he served in South Africa?

A search on Find My Past for soldiers named Quantrell has only brought up 3 men - none named John Quantrell.

There is a John Quantrill but he was born in 1877 so not him.

In some instances, Boer War service is captured by the pension cards, when determining total service with the colours.

There is nothing else in relation to John Quantrell, born 5 March 1882, who died of wounds 1 April 1918. I would presume his prior service, for however long, was not taken into consideration when a widow's pension was calculated.

The Anglo Boer War Registry, based on the medal rolls, available via FMP or the casus belli domain, has James Quantrell of the Life Guards and James Quantrell, 223 Norfolk Regiment born 1864. This would rule out the possibility of John Quantrell having participated in the campaigns of the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902.

The 1911 census tells us he was married in 1905. Free BMD narrows this down to 2Q 1905, so he was presumably a civilian at this time. I couldn't find him on the 1901 census on FMP, though.

23 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

In some instances, Boer War service is captured by the pension cards, when determining total service with the colours.

There is nothing else in relation to John Quantrell, born 5 March 1882, who died of wounds 1 April 1918. I would presume his prior service, for however long, was not taken into consideration when a widow's pension was calculated.

The Anglo Boer War Registry, based on the medal rolls, available via FMP or the casus belli domain, has James Quantrell of the Life Guards and James Quantrell, 223 Norfolk Regiment born 1864. This would rule out the possibility of John Quantrell having participated in the campaigns of the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902.

The 1911 census tells us he was married in 1905. Free BMD narrows this down to 2Q 1905, so he was presumably a civilian at this time. I couldn't find him on the 1901 census on FMP, though.

Hi Keith, 

Thanks for the information. It was only because I checked a census in 1901 and he was listed as a solider (Pte Royal Fusiliers) at 15. I was curious to know if he had gone to Africa. 

On his medal and service award rolls, it says he first enlisted on 26/04/1917 and doesn’t say anything about the previous. 

Annie 😊

IMG_9711.jpeg

image.jpg

Hi Annie,

How interesting that he is on the census, with a declared age of 15 in 1901. He would have been less than 19 during the Second Anglo Boer War, which I believe would have prevented him from being sent to South Africa.

The medal roll tells us he was one of a number of men transferred in May 1917 to the Bankers battalion. I wonder if he was conscripted, and as a married man he was called up as a later draft in 1916-17?

Cheers
Keith

I don't know if you have seen any of the attached images (courtesy of Find My Past) -- the first image is a German record of him as a prisoner of war, the second image is from the Soldiers Died in the Great War database and the third image is his widow's pension award.

POW 1.jpg

Quantrell SDGW database.jpg

Quantrell.jpg

On 19/11/2023 at 13:08, Keith_history_buff said:

Hi Annie,

How interesting that he is on the census, with a declared age of 15 in 1901. He would have been less than 19 during the Second Anglo Boer War, which I believe would have prevented him from being sent to South Africa.

The medal roll tells us he was one of a number of men transferred in May 1917 to the Bankers battalion. I wonder if he was conscripted, and as a married man he was called up as a later draft in 1916-17?

Cheers
Keith

Apparently each infantry battalion’s commanding officer made his own decision regarding taking his battalion’s enlisted boys to the 2nd Anglo/Boer War.  It thus does not appear to have been forbidden by Horse Guards.  Some boys died of disease, but none seem to have been KIA.  Undoubtedly the most famous was Boy Drummer John Dunne of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (aka ‘Bugler Dunn’) who was wounded whilst sounding his bugle during an advance by his battalion.  He became a great celebrity in Britain subsequently, even meeting Queen Victoria, and can be read about here: 

It may just be I've researched the wrong individuals in the past, but the impression I had was that these young soldiers, enlisted by permission of the Horse Guards, enrolled for 12 years in the colours. Assuming he enlisted at 14 then touch and go as to whether he would still have been serving at the time of the 1911 Census of England & Wales.

But the most likely match on the later census is a 25 year old John Quantrill, born Shoreditch and a Labourer for a Cutting Block Maker, who was recorded boarding at 79 Custance Street, Hoxton, London N.

It also seems odd that he was allowed to live out at the age of 15. Of course he could have been on furlough and the family didn't state him to be a visitor, but is it possible he was in the Militia and that was his only source of income rather than being a Regular Army soldier?

Cheers,
Peter

22 minutes ago, PRC said:

It may just be I've researched the wrong individuals in the past, but the impression I had was that these young soldiers, enlisted by permission of the Horse Guards, enrolled for 12 years in the colours. Assuming he enlisted at 14 then touch and go as to whether he would still have been serving at the time of the 1911 Census of England & Wales.

But the most likely match on the later census is a 25 year old John Quantrill, born Shoreditch and a Labourer for a Cutting Block Maker, who was recorded boarding at 79 Custance Street, Hoxton, London N.

It also seems odd that he was allowed to live out at the age of 15. Of course he could have been on furlough and the family didn't state him to be a visitor, but is it possible he was in the Militia and that was his only source of income rather than being a Regular Army soldier?

Cheers,
Peter

That’s a very good point Peter, I think he might well have been a member of the Militia, especially if not too far from the home station of his battalion (each Militia unit had its own).  I’m fairly sure a Boy Entrant to the regular army would not have been permitted to live out.

Interesting, another British sub unit that gets little mention 

You blokes make it hard sometimes.

We had a some what same thing hear, when I was asked to check a soldier in Light Horse uniform during the war.

He was not mentioned in any records

While at home we still made use of the Miltia units as feeders to the AIF, but other then a few odd jobs, they did not do, like what later be the Home guard in your country or Garrison and VDC here in WWII.

There are no records for soldiers in these Milita units as many well to do families sent there sons there so they would not go into the AIF

Likewise many younger boys served there until old enough to join the AIF