Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Quintus Newsom RICHARDSON RFC

stephen p nunn

That is amazing charlie962. This GWF is so special. Your info tonight, along with Matlock1418, has really brought William's story alive. Thank you so much. Proud to be a member here and of you two. Than you. S (Maldon).

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The RAFMuseum Casualty card actually gives more detail.

Screenshot_20231119-2055402.png.198b9c4a6872942be6772b48e7ee0e59.png

Screenshot_20231119-2054542.png.50612432b697e6f1cebf8f62cff6a5f9.png

Turned too steeply downwind. So airspeed drops...

Engine failure - Airspeed also likely to drop due to increase in drag due to heavy use of rudder [as was quite likely to be necessary in those days]

In-experience written all over it - classic  error, in trying to return rather than land ahead [if it might have been possible - but I don't know].

So sad - but it was early days of flight and so much more to be more widely learnt.

May he and all the others RIP :poppy:

M

I read it he was probably doing a simple circuit. Take off into wind, turn cross-wind, turn downwind... It was in that turn, low to the ground that all went wrong per the CI.

(I too am thinking back...)

Edited by charlie962

18 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I read it he was probably doing a simple circuit. Take off into wind, turn cross-wind, turn downwind... It was in that turn, low to the ground that all went wrong per the CI.

Likely circuits and bumps so common nowadays and I would think so back then - It's the engine choked when leaving ground [presuming the T/O or that element rather than the landing bit] that seems to have initiated it all.  Possibly too heavy on the throttle??? [Or other reason???] The Board of Inquiry are certainly not blaming the RAF or anyone else [and the pilot casualty was not there to contradict such a finding].  None of those notes are uncommon on RFC/RAF Casualty Cards.

I wonder how many hours he had dual and/or solo?  History, like for so many others, would likely suggest too few of both.

Challenging times.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
rfc

So cards read: 

“Engine choked when leaving ground. Stalled on turn and nose dive machine, catching fire”.

“The court find that Lt. Richardson was killed through inexperience, in that he turned too steeply down wind near the ground. That none be to blame”.

And GWF friends here interpret this to be:

Interpretation

Engine failure whilst on circuits and bumps. Airspeed likely to drop due to increase in drag due to heavy use of rudder [as was quite likely to be necessary in those days].

Classic error by in-experienced pilot - trying to return rather than land ahead (if that was possible).

Probably doing a simple circuit. Take off into wind, turn cross-wind, turn downwind... It was in that turn, low to the ground that all went wrong.

Engine choked when leaving ground [T/O rather than the landing]. Possibly too heavy on the throttle?

Thanks everyone.

Stephen (Maldon).

7 hours ago, stephen p nunn said:

“Engine choked when leaving ground. Stalled on turn and nose dive machine, catching fire”.

“The court find that Lt. Richardson was killed through inexperience, in that he turned too steeply down wind near the ground. That none be to blame”.

Stephen, As you probably know - just to note that a turn down wind was a necessary part of any regular circuit

• Take-off into wind and climb away [this keeps groundspeed low]
  • turn cross-wind [usually to down wind side of airfield if a cross-wind - ground speed may increase]
  • turn cross-wind to go downwind [typically on the downwind side of the airfield if a cross-wind - groundspeed is higher]
  • turn cross-wind [usually slightly upwind if a cross wind - groundspeed may reduce]
  • turn cross wind again to go into descent approach into wind for landing [this reduces/keeps groundspeed low]
  • Land

Turning with a failing/failed engine and it was extremely ill-advised - especially near the ground [what height?].  At least on a grass airfield there was no need to line up on a runway for an attempted landing.  No mention of any other aircraft using the airfield.

The wind had no effect on airspeed which can be the cause of stall/nose-dive [only affects ground speed] so unlikely likely on a stall/nose-dive [unless it was a very strong or gusty wind causing over-banking on a turn - and weather wasn't mentioned].

Groundspeed affects thinking time/time to react [like when driving a car] but is not a stall/nose-dive creator in itself and it will affect impact speed.

Air speed seems to have been the problem - and it is the necessity and nature of the turn that seems the additional problem to a choked/engine failure - a) was it necessary? b) was it too steeply banked and with added drag [possibly with pulling of nose up too much too] causing a stall/nose dive? and c) was he then too low to recover anyway? [it seems he was]  Turning down wind would have increased his groundspeed and increased the impact but not much if he was nose-diving in.

My thought is that he probably should have tried to land straight ahead into wind with low groundspeed [if that had been possible - which I think was probably likely on big open airfields surrounded by countryside, unless a serious obstruction] Even if off airfield probably better to get nose down a bit for slowspeed and/or a mushed stalled crash landing from low height which might have potentially been survivable [certainly more so than a nose-dive]

That said there is always in the back of every pilot's mind a desire to get his aircraft back and in as undamaged state as possible.  Sometimes that has to be overridden and a necessity to go for the best of bad options.

Inexperience certainly paid its part but the cause of choked engine is unclear and the RFC have avoided comment on that. That said the Casualty Card was was a very brief summary, few said even that much [Though I have also seen COI enquiry reports which were just as spartan]. 

No doubt pilot inexperience, possible incorrect throttle [?], and potential pilot overload upon an inexperienced pilot making a solo flight was a major contributor resulting in him making that fatal turn, but ... how much was the earlier engine/carburation/ignition issue also considered?? Or how much the weather considered??  It often seems it is quite easy to blame a dead pilot rather than a mechanical and/or an institutional failure.  At least they don't seem to have apportioned gross negligence to the lad.

Nothing I write to detract from the young lad's character/service endeavours - may he RIP. :poppy:

M

Edited by Matlock1418
now again spotted the usual typos expected of me! :(

Wow M. Thank you for this detailed analysis. 

Best regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

11 minutes ago, nils d said:

It's a sad case certainly.Notice he's only been in the squadron one day.The other pilots wontve learned his name.

Yes it is very sad nils d. I have an update which is he was posted as Flying Officer to 37 (HD) Squadron Goldhanger (Essex) on Sunday 30/9/1917 and his crash was on Saturday 6/10/1917.

Regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

3 hours ago, nils d said:

It's a sad case certainly.Notice he's only been in the squadron one day.The other pilots wontve learned his name.

This is how I think his service went....In April 1917 William joined the Royal Flying Corps as a cadet and, from the 4th to the 18th, was stationed (probably under canvas) at Farnborough, Hampshire. His time there consisted of initial training – drill (“square bashing” they used to call it), medical examinations and various form filling. He was then posted to Denham, Buckinghamshire, for aviation lectures and demonstrations. He moved to Oxford on 15/6/1917, where practical flying training began in earnest. Whilst there, he was commissioned; “Temporary 2nd Lieutenant on probation”. The next step was to 200 (Training) Squadron at East Retford, Nottinghamshire, where he practiced on the FE2b “pusher”. After a couple of months, he was deemed ready to take up active flying duties and the 19 year old was allocated to 37 (Home Defence) Squadron. He arrived at their flight station at Goldhanger on the 30/9/1917, with a view to honing his flying skills, to then be fully integrated into the squadron and its defensive patrols. We know what (sadly) happened after that.

Regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

A sketch of William.....

WILLIAM.jpg