Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pepperbox Hill

Curmo

Can anyone help a friend of mine in identifying the exact location of a position known as 'Pepperbox Hill'? I think it was in the Bazentin, Bazentin Ridge, Caterpillar Valley triangle. It was held by C Battery, 235 Brigade RFA in Sept. 1916.

The Battle of The Somme  a Topographical History by Gerald Gliddon mentions Pepperbox Hill " In Salute of Guns D Boyd the author wrote that towards the end of August he was here with the Artillery. They were reconnoitering  and climbing Pepperbox Hill south of Toutencourt. where there were several batteries on the uplands in a disorderly camp of shelters"

Eddie

Toutencourt is north west of Albert but 47 Div RFA were in the area of Bazentin/Mametz in September 1916. I have not noticed a feature called Pepperbox Hill on any Somme trench maps or sketches. There are no maps in the WDs of 47 Div HQ, A&QMG, RFA or RE.

The best I could find was this in the September 1916 WD of 141 Infantry Brigade. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2735.

I will keep looking

Brian

141 IB 2735.jpg

47 Div Artillery relieved 23 Div Artillery in August 1916. This map is from the July 1916 WD of 69 Infantry Brigade, 23 Div, and shows the areas named in the August and September WDs of 235 Brigade RFA. No trace of Pepperbox Hill. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2183.

On being relieved 23 Div RFA moved back to the area between Albert and Amiens which is where Pepperbox Hill is thought to be.

Brian

69 IB 2183.jpg

I notice there’s a reference in “Rats Alley” to The Pepperbox/ Pepperack , 51bSW3 Boisleux, S30 b, could that be it? Or total wrong tree😁

Edited by Knotty

8 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

ps Toutencourt Trench Map ref 57dSW4 U1

The centre of Toutencourt is at reference 57d.U.1.b.7.1

Various trenches with the name Toutencourt are centred roughly at 57d.U.9.a.3.9 and are visible on m_5_005101. In TrenchMapper, right click and choose Map ID Jump then use m_5_005101. Change maps in the left panel, there are lots of them.

Name: Beauquesne, Talmas, Warloy
Sheet: 57D SW
Scale: 1:20,000
Edition: 3B Local Jul 1918
Trenches corrected to 23/7/1918. Printed 24/07/1918
Id: m_5_005101

I could not see a Pepperpot in that area but there is a Pepperpot on sheet 51b at reference 51b.S.30.b.72.61. Put the reference in the left panel and click Convert.

Howard