Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Als Kampfflieger am Suez Kanal,

Ian Burns

Als Kampfflieger am Suez Kanal, published in 1917 and written by Ltn Hans Henkel under the pen name Henkelburg.

All copies I have seen are in the old style German alphabet - Fraktur?

With my extremely limited German it is unreadable and/or I am unable to transcribe it.

Can anyone direct me to a transcribed into 'modern' German edition?

I am specifically looking for the section where he describes how he manufactures an interupter gear for his early Rumpler C.I. whilst based in Palestine with FA300. Most modern accounts appear to paraphrase or reword the original version. I would like to get back to the original source material, which is probably his 1917 book.

15 hours ago, Ian Burns said:

I am specifically looking for the section where he describes how he manufactures an interupter gear for his early Rumpler C.I. whilst based in Palestine with FA300. Most modern accounts appear to paraphrase or reword the original version. I would like to get back to the original source material, which is probably his 1917 book.

I think that the section which you want commences on p.[60] 52 see https://digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/werkansicht?PPN=PPN72955385X&PHYSID=PHYS_0060&view=fulltext-endless

Thanks Michaeldr.

I will get to work on a translation.

But I have also been informed that there IS an English translation under the title of Flames In The Desert - available through Amazon of course. So, I will probably also order that.

Spot On! Pages 52-54. 

Just tried your suggestion. For my small passage it gives almost identical translation as Google.

But it does avoid the too literal translations the Google is prone to, ie; Apparat > apparatus (Google), machine (DeepL). Machine is the accurate translation for the context of the sentence.

Thanks I will keep DeepL on file.

Ian