Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Royal Irish Regiment

drummer

I have finished a transcription of the 2/Royal Irish Regiment War Diary for the first month or so of the War in PDF format. The transcription runs about 30 pages with many appendices and maps drawn by a Major St. Leger who was a trained artist of note. It is a an interesting tale of this almost forgotten regiment and the contributions the 2nd battalion made at Mons and Le Cateau and a first hand account of the trials of The Retreat.

If you are interested, e-mail me and I will send it right off....

Regards,

Drummer

• 3 months later...
I have finished a transcription of the 2/Royal Irish Regiment War Diary for the first month or so of the War in PDF format.  The transcription runs about 30 pages with many appendices and maps drawn by a Major St. Leger who was a trained artist of note. It is a an interesting tale of this almost forgotten regiment and the contributions the 2nd battalion made at Mons and Le Cateau and a first hand account of the trials of The Retreat.

Regards,

Drummer

Drummer

I am Researching my Grandfather's (Clifford George Gingell) history and understand he was in the Royal Irish Regement although at this stage I do not know the exact loctions of where he served apart from him telling me the Balkans, Palestine & France. I whould be interested in your War Diary transcription as it may be a piece of the puzzle.

Your help and assistance would be appreciated.

Thanking you an anticipaion.

Richard Noble

• 4 years later...

Hi Drummer,

Could you please send me a copy of the war diaries of the 2nd of the Royal Irish Regiment. i had an ancestor, who i understand joined August 1914, but was killed October 1914, at Le Pilly

Regards John

bf006d6586@blueyonder.co.uk

I have finished a transcription of the 2/Royal Irish Regiment War Diary for the first month or so of the War in PDF format. The transcription runs about 30 pages with many appendices and maps drawn by a Major St. Leger who was a trained artist of note. It is a an interesting tale of this almost forgotten regiment and the contributions the 2nd battalion made at Mons and Le Cateau and a first hand account of the trials of The Retreat.

Regards,

Drummer

• 10 months later...

hi everyone

a few years back i got diaries, casualty reports maps etc relating to the royal irish from mons to le pilly when my own grandfather fought with them.

i hope to scan and upload links to this stuff in a new forum topic entitled royal irish regiment 2nd battalion august to october 1914.

hopefully i can get through this (there is a lot of stuff) and it is of interest to people

• 3 months later...

Really enjoyed reading the Diary,It was very good indeed

Thank you for posting it