Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No CWGC headstone John Halligan

Tracy

I found this information on this site, it was posted in 2009.

Rfn John Halligan 608048

1/18th Bn, London Regiment (London Irish Rifles)

Died between 21/03/18 and 29/03/18 age 30

I just wonder why John has no headstone and I can't find him on the CWGC site ?

I have found out recently that John's father and my great grandfather were brothers.

Any information would be gratefully received 

Thank You.

• Admin

It looks as though for whatever reason when the registers were being compiled, his name was missed off. It was an enormous task, and mistakes were made. @Neil Mackenzie was the In From The Cold Volunteer who found him. Looking at the 2009 thread, it should be that his name will be added to the Arras memorial to the missing. However, I can’t find him on the CWGC site either. 

• Admin

Interesting, besides the cards posted above by Barbara I can only find the medal roll, so I don't know the basis for his commemoration in 2009. I can only assume that the "date of death" in March 1918 was later found to be false and he was subsequently removed from CWGC. He isn't listed on the IFCP site either.

That is odd.

I had definitely noted that he had been accepted for commemoration to be added to the Arras Memorial. The post Michelle found from 2009 confirms this.

However, as well as not appearing on CWGC he is not listed on the IFCP site either - so maybe there was a change of view.

Neil

A John Halligan of 168 Gallowgate Glasgow is recorded on the City of Glasgow Roll of Honour. You can find the Roll of Honour via tradeshouselibrary.org His regiment is recorded as the Royal Irish Fusiliers. On the statutory returns via Scotlands People, the date of death range is as Tracy mentioned and it looks as if it is annotated "posted R.I.F" His serial number was 608048 and it records he was killed in action in France.

Tracy, did his wife remarry? If she did immediately after the war, it may confirm her previous husband's regiment.

Best wishes

Douglas

Thank you for your reply.

I am unsure of what is going on with John Halligan as I have found John and Elizabeth Halligan living at 168 Gallowgate after 1918 in the censuses on ancestry, it's a mistery !

Tracy

I have had a look at the 1921 Census on Scotlands People and it is confirmed that a John Halligan aged 34 was staying at that address with Eliz. Halligan. 

Best wishes

Douglas

Hi again, thank you everyone for your assistance.

I did some research on Scotland's People and found these.

I do know that John Halligan was a PoW at some point and maybe that's why he was possibly presumed dead/killed in action.

I would love to find out the true story behind it all.

I will probably never know but thanks again!

Screenshot_20231115-213320.png

Screenshot_20231115-213047.png