Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air Men Thomas Saunders and Reginald A Chilman - awards?

Ian Burns

On 14 June 1918 two Short 184 floatplanes from Alexandria, Egypt, protecting an imbound convoy attacked a submarine. A sinking was claimed at the time - but probably did not occur.

In the report of the attack Lt Col C E Risk, commanding 64 (Naval) Wing, RAF, wrote,

From the evidence given by these Officers as actual eye witnesses of the whole proceedings, it would appear that a legitimate claim might be advanced as to the actual destruction of this submarine.

There have been previous cases in which bombs have been dropped in very close proximity to a submarine where one was inclined to claim that it had been destroyed. The submarine having been sighted, however, within the next 24 or 48 hours entirely negatived this. In this case, however, there has been no sign of the slightest submarine activity.

Under these circumstances, I have the honour to request that the Pilots and Observers belonging to the Alexandria Seaplane Squadron, which carried out this attack may be credited with the destruction of this submarine. If this claim is allowed I would recommend the following Pilots and Observers for the under mentioned decorations :-

Lieut. George Waugh, RAF                )   Distinguished Flying

Lieut. George H. Willows, RAF          )           Cross.

F-32649. Saunders, Thomas  AM3       )   Distinguished Flying

F-18932. Chilman, Reginald A.  AM3  )            Medal.

In the fullness of time the pilots Waugh and Willows were awarded the Air Force Cross (LG 8/Feb/1919) but I have been unable to trace any awards for the two Airmen.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

The AFC was surely the wrong award , if not a little insulting, to Waugh and Willows. The two observers were even more poorly served.lm surprised they were both 3rd class mechanics.They earned their flying pay lm sure.