Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Stationary Hospital bombing.

ScottB

I’m looking at the record of Edith Maria Watson who was TFNS and in a letters to Sidney Browne and  Beecher she tells of being admitted to 10th Stationary Hospital as she was suffering from Trench Fever and Bronchitis. While she was there on her last night before being moved again she informs them that she now has problems with her eyesight and she thinks it was from the flames of the bombs and she didn’t report it at the time as her medical officer had been killed . Is it possible to find more out  about this bombing , I think the date was about the 11th May 1918. 

Scott,

This comes from Maud McCarthy's war diary;-

Sick Sisters 201
Air-raids: Received telephone message from A/Principal Matron, St. Omer, saying that 3 bombs had been dropped on 10 Stationary Hospital during the night, and that 2 Medical Officers had been killed, 4 wards completely destroyed, 17 patients killed, but fortunately there were no casualties amongst the nursing staff. The Sick Sisters’ Hospital had had a narrow escape.

There is no mention of bombing on 11th May, but perhaps because there were no casualties. The Hospital war diary will confirm.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you both very much.

The 23rd was the date it must have happened as she describes being very close to the flames of the bombs and as she was a patient I can’t see her being anywhere else but a ward.
I also had  the wrong date as she had that she moved from 15th CCS to the 10th Stationary on the 12th May so she would have been there till the 24th where they moved her to the 14th Hospital. 

Cheers 

Scott