Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post war parade. Know who, where and when?

Howard

This is a parade of Great War soldiers after the war. The lapel badges are thought to be those of the Old Contemptibles Association as my Grandfather, 4th from right back row was a member.

Does anyone know who the people are in the middle? Lloyd-George?

It might be Brixton in South London, any ideas?

The date is possibly 1925, does anyone know?

Thanks

Howard

post-991-1113572665.jpg

And this is an enlargement of the figures in question.

Howard

post-991-1113572765.jpg

There appears to be an advert for the Brighton Pavilion in the background.

Thanks Kate

I did wonder that but there was a Brixton Pavillion as well and I cannot be sure which is which, the gent's head being in the way.

Howard

Thanks Kate

I did wonder that but there was a Brixton Pavillion as well and I cannot be sure which is which, the gent's head being in the way.

Howard

Howard, in your original posting you say "it might be Brixton" - what makes you think that? Is it just the "Pavilion" reference, which might be the Brixton Electric Pavilion, or is there some other information you have?

Tom

Howard, in your original posting you say "it might be Brixton" - what makes you think that?  Is it just the "Pavilion" reference, which might be the Brixton Electric Pavilion, or is there some other information you have?

Hello Tom

My Grandfather lived in Brixton in the 1920s, Glenelg Road. Mind you, he moved around a bit so addresses are not as useful as I would like and I cannot be sure there were parades in every district.

I keep looking at the big man in the robes and thinking he is Lloyd George, then I paste a pic of LG on top and convince myself it isn't. Most infuriating. I hope the tall bloke is distinctive enough to recognise.

I have tried enhancing the picture to read other text but with no luck, likewise with a Google search for "Markillie" in the background.

The "colours" are tricky as well, I think I can see the Mons Star on most blokes as befits the Old Contemptibles Association which I am sure they are, but some of the other ribbons don't fit, especially if they have the order of medals right.

Howard

The Mayor seems to be wearing pip, squeak and wilfred medals on the wrong side of his chest and they also seem reversed. Could this signify he had lost a son in the Great War?

Terry

And this is an enlargement of the figures in question.

Howard

The uniformed officer in the centre looks not unlike King George VI (to be). What with the flag and all wearing the same badge, my guess is British Legion and unless the Lord Mayor of London went to parades in Brixton, Brighton.

The uniformed officer in the centre looks not unlike King George VI (to be). What with the flag and all wearing the same badge, my guess is British Legion and unless the Lord Mayor of London went to parades in Brixton, Brighton.

It does look like the King to be but he is "out dressed" by the Mayor in robes. Would the Lord Mayor of London go to Brixton? Possibly. I tried fitting different fonts to the BR...TON and found I can make both Brixton and Brighton fit.

The Mayor seems to be wearing pip, squeak and wilfred medals on the wrong side of his chest and they also seem reversed. Could this signify he had lost a son in the Great War?

I had not thought of that. If so, it counts out Lloyd George as he lost his son to the Conservative party, not to the war.

Thanks for all the efforts.

Howard