Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals to RAF personnel

ralphjd

Were the three WW1 medals issued to RAF personnel ? where would one find the issue of them if anywhere ? Trying to find if William Robert Skeels 235924 died from pneumonia 3 12 1918 was entitled to them for his great granddaughter , met her yesterday at our local memorial service. Ralph

The medal entitlement and issuance is usually on the reverse of the Air Ministry Form 175 (i.e. page 2 of the image of the service record.) These records are in archive series AIR 79.

They can be accessed via FindMyPast or Fold3, so take advantage of the free Remembrance Sunday access. That number suggests to me that he is ex RNAS.

RN ratings' medal roll, surnames Sic-Sta, archive reference ADM 171/115

Medal entitlement of BWM & VM 
How Issued or disposed of: 'By A.M.'

I thought it was him - Ancestry Register of Seamens services record for him. Keith, Does that mean entitled to two medals and disposed of by the Air Ministry, ? Ralph

Given that, at the end of war, his branch of service was no longer the Royal Navy, and that it was administered by the Air Ministry, then it makes sense that the Air Ministry would have been responsible for his WW1 campaign medals.

His entry on the ratings medal roll records his entitlement, and also records that as a result of no longer being a sailor, that the Air Ministry would be involved in any activity in relation to WW1 campaign medals.

The thing to do is to obtain a copy of his RAF service record, as it should state a date as to when the medals were issued.