Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Postcard ???

Brian J Owen

Good morning Gentlemen, I have purchased a German postcard, my questions are is it 1914-1918 era, or before? if so can anyone tell me the Regiment please, also if before the war what may have happened to the sender, big ask I know but as I have no idea how to start this search I thought I would ask the people that know, many thanks for reading this post and if nothing comes of it I still have a nice postcard

Kind regards,

Brian

german soldiers.jpg

back of postcard.jpg

Hello,

The card was written in Landau on 12 March 1912, so pre-war.

Jan

Good morning Jan,

Thank you for your prompt reply, I should have realised when I saw the 12 III 12,

Thanks again,

Regards,

Brian

Hi,

he is either from 5th or 12th Bavarian Feldartillerie Regiment.

So if you have access to Ancestry you might find him in the Stammrollen of the respective regiments. His name seems to have been Joseph or Julius Schabenberger.

GreyC

Good afternoon GrayC, thank you for your reply, the information will certainly be helpful as I hadn't a clue,  am not personally on Ancestry, but I can use the library or the records office to look for him,

Thanks again,

Regards! 

Brian 

Brian

I haven‘t found anyone (yet) with the name Schabenberger with a dob of 1891 +/- a couple of years in the Stammrollen. I did however find the person who the postcard is addressed to, which might add some interest to the postcard.
He was Joseph (Josef) Dierlmeier, his surname also has the spellings Dirlmeier and Dirllmeier. He was undergoing his national service with the Royal Bavarian 11th Infantry Regiment when war broke out. He was wounded in the lower leg in Sept. 1914 and after his return to the front he was wounded again on 12th Feb. 1917 and taken PoW. He was repatriated via Holland in January 1918 minus his right leg. https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3191545/1/2/  

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/878634

Charlie

IMG_5144.jpeg

IMG_5142.jpeg

Good afternoon Charlie,

I have managed to translate the postcard with the help of google, the information you have found is brilliant. I certainly could not have done this without you. I do not think I could find anymore information than you have already supplied. Just a thought, do you think that the soldiers were colleges of  Joseph (Josef) Dierlmeier, just a thought. I am still reading through your reply, I am so chuffed, thank you so much,

Kind Regards,

Brian

IMG_20231113_193329.jpg

5 hours ago, Brian J Owen said:

colleges of  Joseph

As the card was written on 12.3.12 and Josef Dirlmeier wasn‘t called up till 1913 they must have been friends before J. Schabenberger was called up.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, 

Once again thank you for your reply,  now my search is to find where Josef Dirlmeier was when he was wounded and captured, to find the details of only one of the men mentioned on the card is a massive plus, so thanks again, and feel that

J. Schabenberger will turn up,

Kind regards  

Brian

5 hours ago, Brian J Owen said:

Once again thank you for your reply,  now my search is to find where Josef Dirlmeier was when he was wounded and captured,

It says in the Kriegsstammrolle: near Givenchy-en-Gohelle.

Jan

Good morning Jan,

Thank you for your reply, I have never really had any direct interest in this area until now  ( always the Ypres sector, or the Somme and only now the the final days in 1918) now because of the card a new area has opened up, and thanks to you and your colleagues on the forum my postcard has from nothing has given me yet another avenue to explore, 

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Brian

Hello Brian

I‘ve drawn a complete blank with Schabenberger, I‘ve checked the Rolls for the Bavarian FAR 5, 12 and 20. The home garrisons of FAR 5 & 12 were in Landau, FAR 20 was formed from FAR 12 early in the war. The Rolls are only the wartime ones but do record any peacetime service. There could be any number of reasons why he appears not to served with his peacetime regiment.

Josef Dirlmeier was wounded for the first time on 5th September 1914 during the attack on Serres and the forest of St. Libaire by shrapnel.  He was with No.4 Company (part of the 1st Bn - written I./11 on the attached) at the time. For the second time he was wounded the Regimental History only mentions artillery fire for the 12th September and offensive enemy patrols for the general period. This time he was in No.2 Company.

Charlie

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

Hi Charlie, thanks again for your reply, could you tell me what FAR 5 and FAR 12 stand for? 

Thanks again, 

Kind regards 

Brian 

Hi Charlie, 

Thank you for the reply and information, 

Regards, 

Brian 

Hi all,

can only be online off and on at the moment, that´s why I can pitch in only now. There might be another possibility I discounted before because of the poor quality of the image. Bavarian FARs shoulds have had black jacket lining/Auifschläge which seem to be missing here. maybe he is from the schwere Reiter (heavy cavalry), the only formation in Bavaria with a purely red uniform, though they were not stationend in Landau.

Best,

GreyC

Hi GreyC,

Thank you for your reply, in the photo are the men holding riding crops? I was not sure, and they seem to have a small flask over there shoulders, interested on your thought's

Thanks again for the info,

Kind regards

Brian

gudu3vrr.png

Thank you, I was not sure, this is all new territory for me, really enjoying it,

Thanks again,

Regards,

Brian