Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Messines Ridge 1917

garryws

My grandfather, John William Monument died on 8th June 1917 in the above battle. How can I locate any information  about the circumstances in which he was killed? He was in the 1st Btn, Royal Fusiliers

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

The war diaries are free to download after free registration. This will tell you what was going on at the time.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353307

He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/907230/john-william-monument/

'The History of The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War'  by H.C. O'NEILL pages 175 to 178 provides a brief account of the 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers at The Battle of Messines which commenced on the 7th June 1917.   During which the 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers took 130 men from the 150th Prussian Regiment prisoners, with a machine gun and two field guns, for a loss of 5 Officers and 110 ORs.

It so happens that my Grandfather Captain J.V. WILSON, 12th Bn. Royal Fusiliers  was wounded on the 9th June at the 12th Bn. Headquarters in Oosttaverne Wood near the Wambeke Road, one day after your grandfather was killed. The 12th Bn. had just relieved the 1st Bn. Royal Fusiliers when a shell fell close to the 12th Bn. Headquarters  wounding four Officers of the 12th Bn. - three died of their wounds, my grandfather eventually recovered from his wounds.  The account of this incident can be found on page 178.