Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eligibility for CWGC Headstone

Chris Evans

Hi

Researching family history I have discovered that my Great Grandmother Lizzie (Elizabeth) Savage was granted a Widow's War Pension upon the death of my Great Grandfather, Henry Thomas Savage, in 1925.

Henry served in the Royal Berkshire Regiment in WW1, Regimental numbers 3752 & 201236, as recorded on WW1 Army Pension Ledgers and Index Card.

I can find no other reference to his service, online.

As Lizzie was granted a pension can I assume Henry's death was connected to his War service?

If so would he be eligible for CWGC commemoration? Neither have a current gravestone.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Chris Evans said:

would he be eligible for CWGC commemoration? Neither have a current gravestone.

Thanks

CWGC set a cut off date for commemoration of WW1 casualties of 31st August 1921. 

The reply above regarding the commemoration cut off date, from GWF1967 is correct, but if for your research you would like to know the cause of your great-grandfather's death you can obtain a copy of his death certificate using this link  https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

That is  the least expensive way of doing this as some family history sites charge more for using this service than you pay as a direct customer. The death certificate should state a cause of death.

Keith