Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Goldhanger for this year's Armistice

stephen p nunn

My wife and I decided to mark this year's Armistice at the nearby village of Goldhanger (Essex). We arrived at the church in time for 11am and paid our respects at the village War Memorial (in the churchyard) and inside the parish church of St. Peter....

gold5.jpg

gold6.jpg

gold4.jpg

gold1.jpg

gold3.jpg

In the churchyard are CWGC headstones to two RFC pilots...

gold11.jpg

Goldhanger was home to 37 (HD) Squadron's 'C' Flight.

GOLD FROM AIR.jpg

goldaeroplan.jpg

RFC.JPG

Of the two headstones, the first is to 2nd/Lt. Sydney Armstrong. He took off from Goldhanger airfield at 11 o’clock on the evening of February 17th 1918 in his BE12 biplane. At 1 o’clock the following morning the body of the 18 year old pilot was discovered in the shell of his burnt-out machine, in a field at Tolleshunt Major.

gold13.jpg

armstrongpic.jpg

Edited by stephen p nunn

The other is to his replacement - Irish born, Catholic lad, 2nd/Lt. Frederick Augustus Crowley took off from Goldhanger airfield in a BE2 on his third solo just before 9am on 26/2/1918. He clipped some trees, stalled and came down in a field at the back of ‘The Cricketers’ pub, where his aircraft burst into flames. He was 20.

gold12.jpg

crowley pic.jpg

After paying our respects, it would have been rude not to call in to the Goldhanger 'Chequers'....

gold14.jpg

gold9.jpg

Edited by stephen p nunn

This is the very same pub that once played host to 'Mick' Mannock. He flew into Goldhanger during the morning of March 27th 1918. Twenty SE5a’s of 74 Squadron flew from London Colney and landed at the field. Captain Edward ‘Mick’ Mannock (later Major Mannock, VC, DSO, MC) was one of their Flight Commanders. He was like a cat on hot bricks from the time he landed at Goldhanger. He couldn’t wait to take off again and continue on his route to the front. He wrote a quick note to one of his friends explaining that he had been; “…ordered here at the last moment after all our baggage and transport had been dispatched to France. Shall be here probably a week until they can find an aerodrome for us. I suppose this big Germans attack has thrown them somewhat off their balance. Anyhow, I am sick of waiting and want to get out there. There must be lots of fun out there now, in view of the scrap….”. The night before his squadron finally left for France, Mannock and his confederates decided to have a farewell drink at the Goldhanger ‘Chequers’ public house. The apprehensive landlord tried to make the men as comfortable as possible, but the “great big chief of the village” objected to the airmen singing some of their renowned and somewhat bawdy ballads. Mannock resented the intrusion and gave the “big noise” two choices – to be thrown out or to have a drink. He chose the latter! On March 30th, 74 Squadron left Goldhanger for good. For many it would be their last flight and Mick Mannock himself was shot down and killed between Calonne and Lestreme in the July. 

Copy of Chequers-1905.jpg

MMANNOCK.jpg

None of those Goldhanger Lads are forgotten........

gold2.jpg

It was a poignant place to mark Armistice....

gold8.jpg

gold7.jpg

That was a very nice tribute Stephen. Thank you for that. It encapsulates all our communities, and by today, those unknown names on every memorial in Britain.:poppy:

6 minutes ago, geraint said:

That was a very nice tribute Stephen. Thank you for that. It encapsulates all our communities, and by today, those unknown names on every memorial in Britain.:poppy:

That's kind of you geraint. I continue to be proud to be part of the GWF and be amongst such good friends who keep the memory alive. Hope your Remembrance Day goes well. Regards. Stephen (Maldon).

Here in Chateauponsac, a friend of mine volunteered to do the last post and he did it well. Here, the Mayor conducts the ceremony, and the local branch of the Ancient Combatants do the flag carrying honours. The flower of remembrance is the Cornflower - le Bluette. The Mayor reads the names of all the commune soldiers who died, and a procession then walks to the cemetery where the local school children gather at the second memorial, and read off the names again. The whole procession walked back to the Mairie where free booze was handed out to all and sundry! There is no recognition of neither god nor monarch. Les Poilus are recognized for who they were, and not for any fairytale debt to god and king. Every Mairie in France has a book of deaths relating to the Great War. It lists every soldier who enlisted/conscripted, and the details of their deaths. Chateauponsac commune is of about 3,000 population, and contained slightly more in 1916. My hamlet of 20 people lost two boys in Verdun - one of whom lived here in our house. I've created a little museum in remembrance.

4 minutes ago, geraint said:

Here in Chateauponsac, a friend of mine volunteered to do the last post and he did it well. Here, the Mayor conducts the ceremony, and the local branch of the Ancient Combatants do the flag carrying honours. The flower of remembrance is the Cornflower - le Bluette. The Mayor reads the names of all the commune soldiers who died, and a procession then walks to the cemetery where the local school children gather at the second memorial, and read off the names again. The whole procession walked back to the Mairie where free booze was handed out to all and sundry! There is no recognition of neither god nor monarch. Les Poilus are recognized for who they were, and not for any fairytale debt to god and king. Every Mairie in France has a book of deaths relating to the Great War. It lists every soldier who enlisted/conscripted, and the details of their deaths. Chateauponsac commune is of about 3,000 population, and contained slightly more in 1916. My hamlet of 20 people lost two boys in Verdun - one of whom lived here in our house. I've created a little museum in remembrance.

Wow! Fantastic. Well done. I was Mayor here during the GW centenary and am now an Honorary Freeman of the Town. We will process to the Town Memorial and conduct our Remembrance there. Then I wiil be off to the Great War Aerodrome at Stow Maries with the Chairman of the District Council for another service. Thinking of you and your colleagues tomorrow. Friends. Regards. Stephen (Maldon).