Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need Help Identifying Photo

TomWW1

2 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

taken some time in WW1 and thats literally all i have 

IMG_0123.jpeg

Well the driver is Army Service Corps mechanised branch and behind him in the background is an enormous vehicle park.  This photo was probably taken at home in Britain.  I think it’s possibly an American made Liberty Truck.

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

It is an American built Locomobile (later renamed Riker). it is an early model with the brass radiator. Photographed in the UK as it does not have a WD census number on the bonnet. The C number on the bonnet would suggest that it was possibly issued from Camberwell. About 1,200 were used by the WD.

Edited by Great War Truck

11 minutes ago, Great War Truck said:

It is an American built Locomobile (later renamed Riker). it is an early model with the brass radiator. Photographed in the UK as it does not have a WD census number on the bonnet. The C number on the bonnet would suggest that it was possibly issued from Camberwell. About 1,200 were used by the WD.

Thank you GWT, I really struggled to find an image that matched in every respect.  The vertical slits in the bonnet seemed a good ID feature, but other aspects not so much.  The absence of forward mounted headlights ostensibly ruled Riker out at first glance.

IMG_0569.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Here is the same Locomobile before restoration. Someone converted it in to a house and used to live in it.

Webb 1975.jpg

Edited by Great War Truck