Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Stand To!' 132: Ukraine and the Great War

Mark Hone

I have just received my copy of ST132, a special edition, mainly with articles drawing comparisons between the current conflict in Ukraine and the Great War or about aspects of Ukrainian involvement in the events of 1914-1918. There are top-level contributors, including Professor Sir Hew Strachan, one of my university supervisors (a long time ago!) A preliminary read through indicates some fascinating, thought-provoking content. Well done to the editorial team for putting this issue together. 

Edited by Mark Hone

I've not got mine yet, but I'm told my piece on Saxon 212. Infanterie-Division in Ukraine (April 1918 to March 1919) is present and correct. :) I'll be adding some supplementary material on my website over the weekend.

UPDATE: as hoped, my copy came today. My Saxon piece has come out beautifully, occupying a whopping ten pages! I am exceedingly grateful to Matt Leonard for his great generosity with the word count, which made the process of cutting the initial drafts down to publishable size a lot less painful than it could have been.

I was also delighted to discover the piece by Peter Lieb which covers the broader context of the Austro-German presence in Ukraine with admirable rigour and even-handedness. While writing my own article I had to cross my fingers and hope that someone else would be addressing such matters as the rival Ukrainian governments, the Treaty of Brest-Litowsk and the political, economic and military relationships between the Central Powers and Hetman Skoropadski’s 'Ukrainian State'... all of which are probably pretty esoteric to most of the WFA readership. Peter Lieb has done precisely this, making thorough use of German archival material to do so where I have leant heavily on regimental histories. Bravo!

The remaining contents (which I have so far only briefly browsed) include a truly formidable array of major names in the field of Great War studies, and I feel truly honoured to have my work appear in such distinguished company! I look forward to digesting this very special issue at leisure over the next week or so.

Edited by bierast

As promised, supplementary material is now available on our website here:
https://www.royalsaxonarmy.co.uk/index.php/articles/index.php/articles/48-212-infanterie-division-in-southern-ukraine-april-1918-march-1919

I may add more (such as translations from the primary accounts in the sources) as time allows and if there is sufficient public interest.

Interesting photos ect

I have some info on the ships mentioned from the book "The Ottoman Steam Navy 1828-1923"

Stambul 25 May 15 torpedoed and damaged by HMS/M E 11 at the Glalata Pier

4 Dec 18 arrives at Zonguldak to load coal 

5 Dec 18 driven aground do to one of the worst winter storms on record salvaged in Jan 18

General depot ship 9/10 Jul 17 missed by HP 0/100 3124 

Chios 17 Aug 15 bombed by British aircraft and beached salvaged 25 Aug 15 sunk WMS/M E 11