Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No bonus (army service record)

iammuted

Hello,

I am looking at a man's WW1 British Army service record. On a page regarding pension, it is marked at the bottom clearly in large capitals "NO BONUS".

My two questions are: what bonus is this referring to? What qualified - or disqualified, as in this case - a soldier from receiving this bonus?

(If it helps or is relevant, this man served 1914 to 1919 but was marked as a deserter for a couple of months towards the end of 1914, and appears to have had a few minor injuries - sprained ankles, dislocated shoulder - throughout the war).

TIA

Iam

55 minutes ago, iammuted said:

I am looking at a man's WW1 British Army service record. On a page regarding pension, it is marked at the bottom clearly in large capitals "NO BONUS".

My two questions are: what bonus is this referring to? What qualified - or disqualified, as in this case - a soldier from receiving this bonus?

(If it helps or is relevant, this man served 1914 to 1919 but was marked as a deserter for a couple of months towards the end of 1914, and appears to have had a few minor injuries - sprained ankles, dislocated shoulder - throughout the war).

Ian,

Unless you want a generic answer, which may or may not fit your man, then it would probably help us all greatly if you could please name the man and give his military details.

M

2 hours ago, iammuted said:

Thomas William KEEN (b. 1895). Reg. no. 402642.

Here's a link if it works: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1098625:1219?tid=106246394&pid=422158941886&hid=1048015186699

Thank you - Unfortunately I cannot access via the link as I don't subscribe to Ancestry.  To see an image may assist more.

His MIC shows he was 10807, Buffs (East Kent) Regiment, 357810, Royal Engineers, 402642, Labour Corps = France 9-2-15 = 1914-15 Star, BWM, VM plus SWB listed - No sign of being marked as a Deserter or forfeiture of medals there. The MIC is marked S. Res. - signed again to the Special Reserve, perhaps??

WFA/Fold3 have a single pension index card [disability is not specified] = as 357810, Royal Engineers - rather looks like discharged 7.6.19 and awarded 5/6 pw from 8.6.19 to ??? [5/6 pw was the 20% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V soldier/Pte] address: 43 Brookdale Rd, Catford SE6 - No sign of a problem for a pension there

Edit: PIC shows 3/10807 which seems likely to have been a Buffs (East Kent) Regiment SR number.

Furhter Edit: PIC also shows a later Overseas reference so the claim seems likely to have continued.

I'm wondering if the 'Bonus' was perhaps a War Gratuity or a bonus for signing on again = ???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
further edit

Thanks for the info. I thought Ancestry military records were free to view today and this weekend as it's Remembrance Sunday...but I've attached an image.

I

30599_157641-00181.jpg

3 hours ago, iammuted said:

I thought Ancestry military records were free to view today and this weekend as it's Remembrance Sunday...but I've attached an image.

I

30599_157641-00181.jpg

Claimed for an Old Sprain of Ankle.

OK I'm going to have a stab:

The above document shows the 20% disability 5/6 pw week rate mentioned ... 8-6-19 until further notice. and Provl [Provisional, sometimes referred to as Conditional - i.e. a temporary pension and subject to further review and/or revision].  It was possible to bring a provisional/conditional disability pension to a close with a final gratuity lump sum or temporary allowance - but I don't think this was the case here refered to as a "Bonus". 

Instead ... As it is certainly on a MoP document, I think "Bonus" may perhaps refer, under Article 6 of the Royal Warrant, to an amount granted for each week a disability pesnioner was undergoing training in a technical institution or otherwise approved place [up to 5/- per week of training and potentially up to £10 for tools for the trade in which he was trained] - In Hogge & Garside's 'War Pensions & Allowances', 1918, the term 'Bonus' was used in this context.  This seems more likely to me to perhaps be the "Bonus" referred to on the above document.

M

Edit: Ooh, I'm wobbling between these now ??? :unsure:

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

I'm afraid no sign of a retained Disability pension awards file as a "PIN 26" at TNA - they are extremely rare and it is probable that his awards file was deliberate;ly destroyed after its use was ended, like the majority were.

M