Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Gew 98

Kwc27122

Hello everyone!

I just acquired my first Gew 98 rifle. I’m trying to build up a Great War weapons collection and this is the third rifle in that effort. Here are some pics. I welcome all comments and opinions, enjoy!IMG_0232.jpeg.2d401fe0de1ae15cdcdaa2cc54fb4488.jpegIMG_0231.jpeg.0cb015c0a372522a5d3632dd68d73028.jpeg

Looks like a nice start, the Gew.98 looks nice, any stamp on buttdisc? the parts should be serialed with identical number, Simson was a large firm producing rifles and bayonets. as not 1920 stamped this piece remained unreworked in Weimar and NS period.

No, unfortunately the numbers don’t match. I think is a rework , possibly during or after the war.  I’m glad you like it. I’ve been after one of these for a long time.

50 minutes ago, Kwc27122 said:

No, unfortunately the numbers don’t match. I think is a rework , possibly during or after the war.  I’m glad you like it. I’ve been after one of these for a long time.

They're beautiful weapons with a rock solid action!

Matching or not, you have a great rifle there! 

13 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Any unit stamp on buttstock disc?

Nope. No markings on the disc. There are some faint marks behind it, between it and the buttplate. Worn or sanded at some time in its past

Now I need to find myself a decent bayonet for it 

No, the proofs were to the left of the disk, between it and the buttplate. They are very faint, mainly just outlines now.