Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl. Alexander May S/9436, Black Watch. Would someone please translate the ICRC documents? Thank you!

rolt968

Cpl. Alexander May, S/9436 died on 6 April 1918 at Limburg (according to local newspapers) while a prisoner of war.

There are a number of entries in the ICRC ledgers (under two PA index numbers).

I don't speak or read German. Could some one please translate the following four entries? Thank you..

(The numbers at the left are for easier reference. They imply nothing aboutb the relative dates of the entries.)

1MayICRC1.jpg.5e82c28ee7f3a3f67441acd9da971d25.jpg

2MayICRC2.jpg.1ad8f7bd9b73d29d31d79f34027845ac.jpg

3MayICRC3.jpg.ba87b5505d1e3d0673fccafb8604008c.jpg

4MayICRC4.jpg.e1c6abbd38f689d1418311f30f51e3d1.jpg

Many thanks

RM

1. taken at Cambrai with a Broken collar bone

2,3 & 4 died 6.4.18 of heart failure at Reserve Lazarett Aachen. 4 adds that he was buried in the military cemetery Aachen.

Charlie

Thank you! I am very grateful.

I can sometimes work out a few German words but could not have got a broken collar bone!

He had written to his parents after being taken prisoner saying that he was slightly wounded. I had wondered what it was and if he was wrong and it was the cause of his death. This clears that up.

There is one odd thing. He is on a war memorial where the names are listed in chronological order of death. He is slightly out of order. (The man above him died on 23 April 1918.) I had wondered if there might have been some doubt about Alexander May's date of death at the time.

It doesn't look like it to me; presuably just a mistake when they made a list of names for the war memorial,

RM

The family may have been informed only quite a bit later, so the exact date of death may not have been immediately clear.

Jan