Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals Gordon Highlanders & Notts. & Derby

robbie56

I recently bought a “box” which contained a number of WW.1 medals. I am trying to return them to their rightful owner hence this post.

In the attached photo two of the three Gordons medals are inscribed on the rim -

2881 Pte. A Catto Gordons.

The Gordons 14/15 Star is inscribed on the back -

6139 Pte A Catto Gord. Highrs

The bottom two medals are inscribed on the rim -

76258 Pte H B Morris Notts & Derby R.

hopefully someone doing a search might come across this post,

Rob

IMG_1614.jpeg

Alexander Catto has a further number 202632 he was KIA 23/4/1917 remembered on the Arras memorial.

there is an Ancestry family tree https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/103431093/person/430027096763/facts?_phsrc=oWE1343&_phstart=successSource

you could have a word with the tree owner although he/she may not be related

I was just about to say Catto was in the 1/4th Bn.

Beaten to it.

Nice grouping. When I get home I can probably find my diary transcription of the day he was KIA.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Chaz, what means “sole entitlement the pair ?

I’ve just noticed there are a couple of farmers with the surname Catto in the area referred to in the “Roll of Honour. 

R

14 minutes ago, robbie56 said:

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Chaz, what means “sole entitlement the pair ?

Means he was not eligible for the Star medal.  So therefore did not deploy to a Theatre of War until 01 Jan 1916 at the earliest.

also as not died no plaque and seems not wounded so no Silver War Badge, no MM. 

sorry for the confusion but its what a medal collector looks for, anything missing to complete.  a habit..

the other thing is paperwork, usually died of wounds/killed in action has family details, wounded may have family pension details.  many records were lost during the WW2 blitz, in my family case, the brothers wounded or died have more information than those that survived. Initially, we thought 3 brothers, as time went on that went to 5 now we know 7 went to war.