Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Limehouse Seamen’s Mission

Uncle George

My pal has sent me the attached photos, with the information that the Mission was built as a First war Memorial. A search of the Internet reveals, 

The Hostel, on the corner of Commercial Road and Salmon Lane, was opened in 1924 by the British Sailor Society.  It was built from a Fund set up in 1917 by the Ladies Guild of the British Sailor Society, whose President, Beatrice, Dower Lady Dumsdale, laid the foundation stone on 13th March 1923.  

The Fund’s aim was to provide a fitting Memorial to all the seamen who had lost their lives in the First World War.  It had a novel fund raising idea: individuals and groups could have their name associated with parts of the building or its equipment.  The money was raised from the Dominions and Colonies as well as from every part of the British Isles …

Inside the Hostel, in the large lounge, was a marble memorial to all those seamen who had lost their lives in the Great War.  The memorial tablet had the words “For King and Country” and hung on either side was a Red and White Ensign.  While in the library was a large portrait of Seaman Drury, RNR, the first seaman to win the Victoria Cross. 

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMEQ3A_1923_Empire_Memorial_Hostel_Commercial_Road_Limehouse_London_UK

IMG_6831.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

Thanks for posting Uncle George.

Pass it most days as I make my way to the city early in the morning. Will have to venture inside at some point.

Opposite is the old Limehouse Town Hall and nearby is St Anne Church which has a memorial to the local men who fell and which is still legible upon the panels . The church itself also has a memorial inside and is well worth a visit if you're interested in Hawksmoor Churches.

Stuart.

Limehouse St Anne War Memorial.jpg

St Anne Limehouse panel 1.jpg

St Anne Limehouse panel 2.jpg

St Anne Limehouse panel 3.jpg

56 minutes ago, Longboat said:

Thanks for posting Uncle George.

Pass it most days as I make my way to the city early in the morning. Will have to venture inside at some point.

Opposite is the old Limehouse Town Hall and nearby is St Anne Church which has a memorial to the local men who fell and which is still legible upon the panels . The church itself also has a memorial inside and is well worth a visit if you're interested in Hawksmoor Churches.

Stuart.

Limehouse St Anne War Memorial.jpg

St Anne Limehouse panel 1.jpg

St Anne Limehouse panel 2.jpg

St Anne Limehouse panel 3.jpg

Thanks - if you do get the chance to look inside it would be interesting to know what is left, if anything, of the the marble memorial, tablet, flags and portrait of Seaman Drury - I note the past tense used in the article. And if these things are no longer there, I wonder what became of them.