Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mildenhall Cemetery, Suffolk

andrew pugh

Good Evening to you all.

I live in Mildenhall and we have a redundant civilian cemetery which contains one solitary Grave of a Canadian soldier who has a named C W G C headstone. Could I ask if a civilian cemetery contains just one casualty of war with a C W G C headstone should it have the green signage/ plaque indicating it to be Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery?

Kind Regards

Andy

we have been around many English and French churchyards with solitary graves and green signs.

there could be an exception, one of my local Baptist halls does not have a sign, there is a recognised CWGC grave there but last year the hall was sold off for a private house. The CWGC grave is a personalised headstone not one of theirs, and the register does say maintained by family, so presumably as slightly overgrown on last visit, it will now be kept up together.

Hi Poppy and Chaz

Thank you both for your replies and comments. The cemetery has only one grave with a C W G C headstone its for a casualty called Ernest William Williams he was a Driver for the 3rd Division, Ammunition Col, Canadian Field Artillery. He was a local man who immigrated to Canada at some point and joined the Canadian Forces. He eventually ended up on the Western Front only to succumb to the Spanish Flue and is buried in his local cemetery in Mildenhall. So he did a full circle in his travels. He is buried in the same cemetery as his parents. So that's the story about him and how he came to be buried in this cemetery. 

The cemetery is now a redundant cemetery and has no C W G C sign. I have checked, I will place a poppy on his grave this week end just to let him know that he's not forgotten. I will contact the C W G C to see what they say. Its not a very nice cemetery and gets overgrown. The American Military folk's and their families used to volunteer to clear it but now they don't obviously times have changed. Once again thank you both for replying.

Kind Regards

Andy