Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post-War Aircraft Disposition

The Dark

This thread is coming about because I have two somewhat related questions about aircraft in the immediate post-Armistice period. I'm certain the information I'm looking for exists, but I haven't been able to find it, particularly with search engines becoming less useful recently. I'm interested in sources discussing the numbers for these questions, either modern histories or contemporary documents.

First, how were the aircraft of the Central Powers divvied up among the Allied and Associated Powers? I found a reference somewhere a while back to the Fokker D.VII being split up with 156 each going to England, France, and the United States, 57 to Belgium, and 22 each to Australia and Canada, but I'm not certain if that's entirely accurate or how other aircraft were allocated.

Second, what did the Americans actually ship back from Europe? I've seen references to 142 Fokker D.VII being sent, although I don't know if that means the other 14 were scrapped, traded for other aircraft, or knocked down for spare parts. I've also seen references to quite a few other aircraft. The United States Air Force Museum mentions their SPAD S.XIII was shipped back "with 434 others," which gives a pretty solid count for that type, but there are also vague mentions of various Pfalz*, Roland, Albatros, Fokkers other than the D.VII, and possibly some DFW and/or Siemens-Shuckerts as well, although a lot of what I've read is vague on whether they were shipped back or just evaluated during the occupation. There are references to a handful of Nieuport 28** and Avro 504K being shipped back, along with a reference to the Breguet 14 leaving the Army Air Service in the late 1920s (which certainly implies they were shipped back).

*The National Air and Space Museum mentions their Pfalz D.XII was a war reparations airplane, but not how many there were

**The San Diego Air and Space Museum claims 88 were shipped back