Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map of Dispositions of BEF 1st August 1918

Mark Hone

I am trying to get an idea of the disposition of the Divisions of British 2nd Army (and their Belgian allies) around 1st August 1918. David Zabecki, in his book 'The German Spring Offensives' (2006) gives a reference for a map of these in the Official History:

Edmonds, 1918, Vol. IV, p7, Map 2.

Unfortunately, I have recently moved away from easy access to major reference libraries which might have full sets of Edmonds in them. As I anticipated, they don't appear on the catalogue of my local library network here in North Wales. Does anyone have any tips as to where I might access this volume? The RWF Museum in Caernarfon Castle is one possibility that occurred to me. 

Edited by Mark Hone

From the description of the map , It appears to be one of those which were in a separate pocket, and which are unfortunately not included in the online volume

https://archive.org/details/mil-ops-fr-belg-1918-v-4/page/n23/mode/2up (Content page)

Being in a separate pocket, even in a Library which holds the book, the maps in the separate pocket may no longer be there. If you are travelling to see the book, make sure the maps from the pocket are available.

The Ancestry owned pay website fold3 contains many online books in the Official History series, perhaps the entire series, consisting of online versions of reprints from Naval & Military Press, under the title Military Operations France & Belgium, a total of 9421 digital pages from multiple books. (Located in Military Books-located by the Search/France, letter M https://www.fold3.com/publication/933/military-books/browse ).  The separate pocket of maps however may not be included, see the description of 1918 V4

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/france-and-belgium-1918-vol-iv-8th-august-26th-september-the-franco-british-offensive-official-history-of-the-great-war-2/

" two endpapers and 30 sketch maps. in full colour"

Maureen

I thought I downloaded this map and the associated volume from a link originally supplied by Maureen a few years back.  It is from page 678 of Military Operations France and Belgium 1918 part iv.  Even if it wasn't @MaureenE  this time, we are all grateful for the work she puts in locating and sharing these references.

image.png.6ac36cb28dfd03d7a66e18a6a8ee204a.png

Thank you both very much for your help. I didn't realise that the Official History might be available on Ancestry. I particularly noticed the defensive scheme adopted by  31st and 40th Divisions in front of the key rail junction of Hazebrouck.

Edited by Mark Hone