Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hussar cap badge?

Andrew W

Can anyone please identify this cap badge. It has lugs on the rear and has a silver hallmark as well. I'm guessing it's the 7th Hussars but I think it maybe a commonwealth badge as I don't recognise it as British

DSCI0012 - Copy.JPG

Are the hallmarks British? That should date it

It is the same pattern as worn by officers of the Norwegian War who had escaped to the UK in WW2. These often have British hallmarks on them. Nice badge.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, as usual barking up the wrong tree. The badge is 10 Commando (Inter-Allied) No5 troop and the hallmark tells me its from Birmingham, sterling silver and dated around 1942 ( the date stamp is a little hard to read), which fits in with the troop. It is also stamped as being made by J.R. Gaunt and Son of Birmingham (again hard to read).

My next challenge is to try and find out whether my wife's relation fought with them, alongside them or whether he swapped it with someone from the troop.

3 hours ago, Andrew W said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, as usual barking up the wrong tree. The badge is 10 Commando (Inter-Allied) No5 troop and the hallmark tells me its from Birmingham, sterling silver and dated around 1942 ( the date stamp is a little hard to read), which fits in with the troop. It is also stamped as being made by J.R. Gaunt and Son of Birmingham (again hard to read).

My next challenge is to try and find out whether my wife's relation fought with them, alongside them or whether he swapped it with someone from the troop.

The badge is Norwegian as explained earlier in the thread.  You seem to have crossed wires in your most recent post.