Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Definitive badge for Australian Army Medical Corps AAMC

ozvere

I would like to put a badge in a transcription of a diary of a member of the 2nd Field Ambulance Unit who served from July 1916 to discharge August 1919.

I have combed the AWM and Google but don't seem to be able to find the answer.  I have found one on the back cover of the book Wounds & Scars which has a red cross in the middle.  The other is from a dealer which has a serpent in the middle.

Which one is relevant/correct and could you supply a non copyright picture please?

Roger

IMG_8519.jpg

z AAMC badge.JPG

Hello

I was under the impression that the AAMC didn't have that kind of insignia up until after the Second World War. I do know that other ranks had Red Cross insignia in a circle on their arms and colour patches.

That AAMC badge on the reverse of the book might be from the pre-war or interwar period. I attach a picture of Dr (Later Lt-Col) 'Pat' Dixon, later 3rd Field Ambulance shortly before the outbreak of war who appears to wear the insignia seen on the reverse of the book.
zoom_1-Portrait_1.jpg.bdad9115d2ceea8da8c1170707896b72.jpg

As a bonus, I will attach the colour patch of the 2nd Field Ambulance [via VWMA] and the circular red cross patch on a uniform worn on the left sleeve by members of the Field Ambulance.

Zidane

big_thumb_1st_Field_Ambulance.jpg

REL/03816

Strictly speaking the AMC (AIF) wore the Rising Sun badge, however your uppermost badge with the Geneva cross was being used by the Malitia during this period and would be most appropriate. 

From the Australian National Archive - AMC Badge (1914)

This badge was later replaced by the serpent badge (I’m away from my references so cannot recall precisely, but some time between the wars)

The serpent badge you attached above is post WW2 as it has the ‘Queen’s Crown’ 

Dan

Edited by Fromelles

Here is the badge used in the photograph provided by tankengine888 above. 

IMG_0465.jpeg

1 hour ago, tankengine888 said:

and the circular red cross patch on a uniform worn on the left sleeve by members of the Field Ambulance.

Zidane

REL/03816

The circular Geneva cross patch should in fact be worn on the right sleeve by members of the AMC, however it's not uncommon to see badges sewn in the wrong position or upside down etc.

Dan

Edited by Fromelles

• Michelle Young changed the title to Definitive badge for Australian Army Medical Corps AAMC