Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B.E.12 "Leicester" - anyone knows its RFC service?

battiscombe

I recently came across a note in the Canadian Corps A&Q diary: "The Leicester Chamber of Commerce, through the medium of the Imperial Air Fleet Committee, have presented a B.E.12 aeroplane bearing the name "Leicester" to the Canadian Corps. The aeroplane has been taken over by the RFC for use during the war" [30th June 1916]  (WO 95/1055/3).

I gather there were similar donations elsewhere - and see there is a 2011 thread regarding 'Sheffield" donations....

do any RFC experts know its service history/fate?

B.E.2c 4404 served with No 13 Squadron from December 1915 until hit by anti-aircraft fire on 14 March 1916.  It was deemed Not Worth Repair and struck off charge of the RFC on 16 March.

B.E.12 6508 was allotted to No 19 Squadron but appears to have been destroyed by fire while still at 2 AD on 30 July 1916.

B.E.2e B4404 was allotted to the Expeditionary Force on 7 July 1917 but seems to have remained in the UK since it was with No 9 Training Squadron on 4 September when it force landed at Postwick, near Norwich, due to engine trouble whilst on a solo flight, 2879 Sergt Arthur Lowe being injured.

Graeme 

many thanks for the very useful replies, that seems to resolve that very nicely and just what I wanted to know; presumably the  plane in question was the BE.12 6508.. 

2 A D is - I presume- No 2 Aircraft Depot, at Candas

On 05/11/2023 at 07:51, topgun1918 said:

it force landed at Postwick, near Norwich, due to engine trouble whilst on a solo flight, 2879 Sergt Arthur Lowe being injured.

Graeme 

Stupid boy.,,,,🙄