Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery firing records

buritonian

Hi

Does anyone know if there any war diaries or records that show what any particular brigade or battery were to fire on any one day.

i.e. start/end time, target, rate of fire for July 1st 1916? Was it round the clock or did they have shifts or need to rest the barrels?

I’ve seen tables/charts that show how a creeping barrage is defined with timings and targets for the artillery... but is there similar documentation for regular non-creeping barrages. I imagine there is for the bombardments preceding attacks.

I done fair bit of reading on the infantry side of things, but I’m now keen to find reading material for the guns now too. 

Any pointers and recommendations would be very welcome. 

Thank you

Paul

Its the sort of info you might find in War Diaries. I had a relative in the RGA and his unit war diary [battery and Brigade] mentions individual targets and number of rounds fired. Battery and Brigade diaries will probably give you the best over all picture of who is firing, how many rounds and what targets they are engaging

Something like this?

WO-95-926-1 (Commander XV Corps Heavy Artillery)

15 corps.JPG

37 minutes ago, gnr.ktrha said:

Its the sort of info you might find in War Diaries. I had a relative in the RGA and his unit war diary [battery and Brigade] mentions individual targets and number of rounds fired. Battery and Brigade diaries will probably give you the best over all picture of who is firing, how many rounds and what targets they are engaging

Will be in war diaries - it was in the war diary for the siege batteries I looked at - type of shell, number fired and when and what target and why. It’s all over the diaries though, not in one nice table at the front or anything!

13 hours ago, gnr.ktrha said:

Thnk you - yes that is what I expected I guess. Knew it would be hard to unearth and laborious. Knowing such info exists and where my first port of call ought to be, was just what I hoped the forum could confirm so thank you very much. 

12 hours ago, Alan24 said:

Something like this?

WO-95-926-1 (Commander XV Corps Heavy Artillery)

15 corps.JPG

Exactly what I'm after, thank you very much for the example - hoping I might see some maps/charts too with a thorough dig. I guess it's unlikely to find similar (but more telling?) documents from the batteries themselves. Most likely I will only find "Commander" level docs as per the one you've shared.