Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Emmett RNAC

Greenwich

I've discovered that my great uncle Ernest Emmett joined up with RNAC in June 1916. It seems he was attached to HMS President II and his service record mentions Dunkirk. In January 1918 he was attached to Halmer? before going on to HMS Daedalus. 

He started as Air Mechanic II before being promoted to Air Mechanic I in September 1917. He was subsequently transferred to the RAF in September 1918.

I believe that President II and Daedalus were shore based institutions but don't know much more.

Any information you can help me with would be much appreciated. I have got his service record fron the National Archive but I'm finding it fairly difficult to read and have attached it here.

Many thanks

ADM-188-591-15849.pdf

Hello Greenwich,  
you seem to have good information about your relative. Your post may be better suited in the Sailors and Navy subsection of the forum, the mods can do this for you. Good luck with your research.

Simon

• Admin

No need to start a new thread, it has been moved. 

HMS PRESIDENT II (London) and HMS DAEDALUS (Gosport) were pay and admin offices for men of the RNAS [N.B. not RNAC] who were deployed to a large number of RNAS bases at home and in France. Your GU probably never went near these offices. The important information is where he actually served:  RNAS Dunkirk and RNAS Bray Dunes in France and RNAS Walmer and RNAS Dover in UK. He was employed as a driver. At Bray Dunes andthen Walmer he was with No.4 Squadron RNAS. His RNAS trade was as a driver, so he would not have worked on aircraft.

His transfer to the RAF was on All Fools Day 1918. He was given the new number of RAF 215849. His entry in the RAF Muster Roll on that date is here:-

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/emmett-e     which shows his old RNAS and new RAF ranks aand trades - Driver (Petrol) (as opposed to steam) in the rank of Air Mech 2 in the RAF.

His RAF record may be obtained via this link   -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12346831