Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rats Alley and the missing pages:

1 IG

Hi

Just looking for a trench in the Wytschaete locality in my copy of Rats Alley and discovered that pages 385 to 416 are missing! Is this the same in all revised edition copies or have I got a duff copy?

It is only by chance that I discovered this yesterday as I was unable to decipher a trench in the 1/6th West Yorkshire Regiments War Diary entries for the 25th April 1918, the trench appeared to begin Ch... after which I was unsure if it was Chemin Trench, so I referred to my copy of Rats Alley only to discover the missing pages, certainly a case of "Murphy's Law!"

I look forward to any comments on the above.

Regards

My copy, the 2017 hardback reprint id not missing those pages.

In case you still need it p399 has this Entry

Chemin Trench ,. Avenue, Drive    28NW2  St Julien     C 8 a c

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks for that information, I have checked my copy, and like yours it is a 2017 hardback reprint, so clearly as I said in my post, a duff copy!

I am not quite sure if it is Chemin Trench now though given your details, the War Diary says that the trench is about N.12.c.8.2 (Reference Map Sheet 28 1/40.000), it could be a case of back to the drawing board, and also I need to source another copy of Rats Alley, only this time a complete one!

Thanks again

Regards

Michael

1 hour ago, 1 IG said:

appeared to begin Ch... after which I was unsure if it was Chemin Trench

Hi Michael,

There are 49,000 Points of Interest in TrenchMapper and it is free to search, free to use.  The most likely candidate for your trench is Chinese Trench, a very long trench that can be seen in this July 1918 map.  Chemin Trench is in 28.C.8, as Keith has pointed out.

Cheers, Bill

image.png.6d4a62cb5f8cccfd9b1bd828c74cc454.png

Hi Bill

Thanks so much for that information, I had no idea of Trench Mapper and will certainly take a look, as it will help me locate some other trench name queries that I have. I note you are from Canberra, my parents lived there for many years, what a small world it it.

Regards

Michael