Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Perth Digger

This is a scenario I have developed from Airhistory documents, Jones' History of RFC/RAF, vol 2 and Bott's Airman's Outings.

On 24 August 1916 2nd Lt Awdry Vaucour (pilot) and Lt Alan Bott (observer) were on offensive patrol in Strutter A890 when damage from an enemy fighter forced them to land just behind the French lines at Bouchavesnes. They drove back to the aerodrome at Fienvillers via an excellent dinner in Amiens.

The next day Vaucour, with 1 AM Herbert Warminger (and probably some other mechanics) drove back to the aircraft and it was mended. Vaucour took off to return to the aerodrome, taking Warminger along as passenger. Three enemy aircraft attacked them about 3 miles NW of Albert. AA fire damaged the Strutter and it was again forced to land NW of Bouzincourt. Warminger had been fatally wounded by the AA and died of his wounds a few hours later.

Given where this happened and the fact that 3 EA were present, would the AA fire have been friendly, or could German AA reach that point at that time?

Thanks

Mike

That's my theory, Nils. I doubt if German flak would be in range, although I don't know what capacity their AA had, nor where the nearest might have been situated that day.

Herbert Percy Warminger was born Jarrow Co Durham and enlisted at Sunderland 10/2/15 .He had formerly been 4 years in the Royal Engineers Durham Fortress company .He had been a farmer.He was aged 26 when he died.