Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Light Horse at Anzac.

JimC

G'day all,

Not exactly sure where to post and ask the question, but one thing leading to another while researching men of the Australian Light Horse at Anzac, I put together this overview of the areas they served, piecing together what I can from various maps etc. This helped me personally grasp where they were on the peninsular. Could I get some more experienced opinions od what I've put together and point out any errors I've made

Cheers

Jim

Anzac Map.png

Welcome to the Forum, Jim. This looks like a labour of love based on a knowledge of how to use IT that I envy. I can't help with your request but there are many on here who can.

Mike

1 hour ago, Perth Digger said:

Welcome to the Forum, Jim. This looks like a labour of love based on a knowledge of how to use IT that I envy. I can't help with your request but there are many on here who can.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Certainty passionate about it. Had a number of ancestors who served there as well as quite a few others I've researched, so trying to really grasp the landscape and areas they fought

Hi Jim,

What a superlative first post and welcome to the forum!

I cross-checked over 20 of your points via the georeferenced maps collection on TrenchMapper from The Western Front Association.  They have the Sevki Pasa Turkish series, the NZ government ANZAC Trench Diagram, the photomosaic of Chunuk Bair and quite a few more.  All are in agreement with you except for where you have drawn the 3 outposts.  They all have the outposts running northwards from No 1 to 2, then 3.

All trenches in Gallipoli have been traced and geotagged, for vector overlay (image 2).

Another way of confirming the ground is to use to use the Open Street Map data on 3D terrain, as most of the Australian names are shown in all datasets.  The third image shows this, with a link.  It takes a minute or two to get the hang of, but the mouse pans left or right, moves forward or backwards.  Ctrl + mouse lets you change orientation and as you fly along the valleys or over the ridges, the placename labels adjust accordingly.  The key is to start slowly or you will spin everywhere!  It's an experimental page, but very useful to walk the ground - still hard to believe some of them climbed straight up and over The Sphinx, including a 57 year old battalion commander.

Click on each image to enlarge.

Cheers, Bill

image.png.db095bc9d77c4f107e51fa6ddaa07af3.png

image.png.2a757b548b45215bb20158e736f9189d.png

image.png.81fca33c2abea462774ddc20b9d374a3.png

https://preview.tmapper.com/three-d-gallipoli.html

48 minutes ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Jim,

What a superlative first post and welcome to the forum!

I cross-checked over 20 of your points via the georeferenced maps collection on TrenchMapper from The Western Front Association.  They have the Sevki Pasa Turkish series, the NZ government ANZAC Trench Diagram, the photomosaic of Chunuk Bair and quite a few more.  All are in agreement with you except for where you have drawn the 3 outposts.  They all have the outposts running northwards from No 1 to 2, then 3.

All trenches in Gallipoli have been traced and geotagged, for vector overlay (image 2).

Another way of confirming the ground is to use to use the Open Street Map data on 3D terrain, as most of the Australian names are shown in all datasets.  The third image shows this, with a link.  It takes a minute or two to get the hang of, but the mouse pans left or right, moves forward or backwards.  Ctrl + mouse lets you change orientation and as you fly along the valleys or over the ridges, the placename labels adjust accordingly.  The key is to start slowly or you will spin everywhere!  It's an experimental page, but very useful to walk the ground - still hard to believe some of them climbed straight up and over The Sphinx, including a 57 year old battalion commander.

Click on each image to enlarge.

Cheers, Bill

image.png.db095bc9d77c4f107e51fa6ddaa07af3.png

image.png.2a757b548b45215bb20158e736f9189d.png

image.png.81fca33c2abea462774ddc20b9d374a3.png

https://preview.tmapper.com/three-d-gallipoli.html

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for that. I wasn't aware that the Gallipoli trenches had been traced and geotagged, that's very handy. Every time I did a search, it just gave me old battlefield maps that were hard to cross-reference. I will definately check out that TrenchMapper. Do you know if this has been done complete for the North Africa campaign and Western Front? They will be my next researches.

Thanks for those tips too

Jim 

12 minutes ago, JimC said:

Do you know if this has been done complete for the North Africa campaign and Western Front?

Jim, all done by volunteers, so sing out if you want to assist, as you are obviously have both research skills and mapping skills.

The only fronts covered currently are Northern France / Flanders (5,949 georeferenced maps), Gallipoli (293), UK (214) and 25 georeferenced maps from Italy.  There are around 49,000 geotagged points for the Western Front and around 600 for Gallipoli.  Geotagging trench lines is only practical on a relatively static front and represents a combination of manual tracing in ArcGIS and export as geoJSON.

Cheers, Bill