Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier General S.H. Shepherd

KONDOA

Has any Pal a potted biography of this chap please. Do not seem able to find much concerning his career etc.

Roop

If you mean S.H.Sheppard:-

1914 Army List Bt Lt Col, RE. DSO, psc, GSO2 Staff College Quetta.

Sept 1915:- Bt Col

Can`t see a S.H.Shepherd! Phil B

That sound like the man Phil, any more???

Yours is the correct spelling, I have several mis spelled references.

Roop

Just to bore the pants off anyone who has looked at this thread , here is the road he built.

I am pleased to see from Phils post that he was RE which may explain many of his references.

Roop

Seymour Hulbert Sheppard was born 26 Dec 69 and educated at Haileybury and RMA Woolwich, where he won the Sword of Honour. Commissioned 2Lt RE 14 Feb 90 and promoted Lt 14 Feb 93. Served in Waziristan Expedition 1894-95 (Indian GSM with clasp), on NW Frontier 1897-98, including operations in the Mohmand country and the Tirah expedition (mentioned in despatches London Gazette 11 Jan 98 and awarded India Medal with two clasps). Promoted Capt 31 Dec 00 and served as a staff officer in the Mahsud-Waziri operations (DSO LG 2 Sep 02, MID LG 8 Aug 02, and further clasp to India Medal. Took part in operations against the Kabul Khels 1902 and the Tibet Expedition 1903-4 (promoted Brevet Major 10 Nov 04, MID LG 13 Dec 04, Tibet Medal with clasp. He was the Army Racquets champion in 1903 and 1906 and won the Amateur Singles Racquets also in 1906.

Graduating from Staff College in 1907 he was appointed DAAG and then as GSO2 to the Rawalpindi Division and was promoted Major on 14 Feb 12. Served as GSO2 Staff College, Quetta 21 Jan 13 – 15 Sep 14, being made a Brevet Lt Col on 10 May 13. He then embarked for East Africa, where he served as GSO1 to the expeditionary force, and was made a Brevet Colonel on 24 Aug 15. He commanded 1st East African Brigade as a Temporary Brig Gen Feb 16 – Feb 17 and then served as BGGS East African Force until Dec 18. He was promoted substantive Lt Col 18 Mar 18, made a CMG (1 Feb 17) and a CB (1 Jan 18) and was four times mentioned in despatches. He was promoted Maj Gen on 1 Jan 19 and took command of No 1 Division, Peshawar.

Obviously a pretty good all rounder!

Charles M

Sincere thanks Charles, a significant addition to my info to date. I have quite a few references of his time with 1st EA Brig. but nearly every time it involves building something ie Sheppards Bridge, Sheppards Pass etc. I could not tie this in with the command of an Infantry Brigade.

Very well spoken of too I might add.

By the way your pristine new book is prominantly displayed in Ottakers in Lincoln, looks good the bits I scanned.

Roop