Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War WW1 link

Clive Temple

Hello pals, I am researching the Woking War Memorial and came across this which I found interesting.

This painting is 'How He Won The VC' by Gilbert Stewart Wright.

It depicts Major ED Brown winning his VC in the Second Boer War. The injured man on the horse is Trumpeter HJD Leigh who was promoted to Squadron QM Sgt and was killed in action in Iraq in 1916. He is on the Woking War MemoriaL

Leigh CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1657258/henry-james-d-leigh/

Sale of memorabilia at Bonhams https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15408/lot/3656/

Brown wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Douglas_Brown

image.jpeg

That's an interesting story Clive.

The Bonhams entry doesn't provide a date for the painting but I have to say Major Brown bears some resemblance to Caton Woodville's famous 'Gentleman in Kharki'.

Scott

Caton Woodville.jpg

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

A great painting I must say, however I'm not convinced that's the Trumpeter despite the links.. hear me out

The citation reads..
'On the 13th October, 1900, at Geluk, when the enemy were within 400 yards, and bringing a heavy fire to bear, Major Brown, seeing that Sergeant Hersey's horse was shot, stopped behind the last squadron as it was retiring, and helped Sergeant Hersey to mount behind him, carrying him for about three-quarters of a mile to a place of safety. He did this under a heavy fire. Major Brown afterwards, enabled Lieutenant Browne, 14th Hussars, to mount, by holding his horse, which was very restive under the heavy fire. Lieutenant Browne could not otherwise have mounted. Subsequently Major Brown carried Lance-Corporal Trumpeter Leigh out of action.'

So 3 people are mentioned.. Trumpeter Leigh, Lieutenant Browne and Sergeant Hersey

The man on the horse has no stripes on his arms so it can't be Sergeant Hersey or LCpl - Trumpeter Leigh

The man on the horse however has a pistol neck lanyard, a pistol holster and I think I can see a pip on his shoulder, making him Lieutenant Browne?

I however might be raving..
Zidane.

Edited by tankengine888

I see what you are saying Zidane. It does make sense.  Also did Brown (standing next to the horse) also receive a head wound in the same position as the 'Gentleman in Kharki'? I suspect a bit of artisitic licence is going on with the painting.

Scott

8 hours ago, Clive Temple said:

This painting is 'How He Won The VC' by Gilbert Stewart Wright.

It depicts Major ED Brown winning his VC in the Second Boer War. The injured man on the horse is Trumpeter HJD Leigh who was promoted to Squadron QM Sgt and was killed in action in Iraq in 1916. He is on the Woking War MemoriaL

• The Bonhams link is cautious and states "(presumed to be Trumpeter Leigh)" 
  • Zidane's comment usefully offers "So 3 people are mentioned in the VC citation: Trumpeter Leigh, Lieutenant Browne and Sergeant Hersey"
  • George Wright is an artist ........ and he's a competent artist.

Early Great War, and certainly South African War, officers always are seen with Sam Brownes and boots.  The injured man is not dressed as an officer - so not Lt. Browne. 

As Zidane's rightly says there are no chevrons to be seen therefore the injured man is not a Sergeant - so not Sgt Hersey.

The wounded man wears puttees, carries a haversack and wears a lanyard/revolver on a belt - not a Sam Browne.  The injured man is an OR armed with a revolver as were Trumpeters in mounted regiments at this time - ergo Tpr. Leigh. 

Based on the evidence, I'd upgrade the Bonham's "presumed to be Trumpeter Leigh" to most certainly Trumpeter Leigh. 

Trumpeter.jpg

Edited by TullochArd
Image added.

A quick Counterpoint- he has a sword (edit actually might be from the saddle not his belt frog)

But I am leaning towards the trumpeter, but still think it's Browne.

Edited by tankengine888

1 hour ago, tankengine888 said:

A quick Counterpoint- he has a sword (edit actually might be from the saddle not his belt frog)

But I am leaning towards the trumpeter, but still think it's Browne.

The horse belonged to the officer did it not?  Major Browne has removed his sword from his Sam Browne frog and as was usual attached it to its alternative frog on the saddle.  I think Tullochard has correctly identified the situation and what you initially thought was a pip on the shoulder strap of the distressed man in the saddle is his short format cavalry shoulder title.  He also appears to wear a typical soldier’s style (less shaped to the foot) of boots.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Interesting points pals and thanks for your thoughts, I will mull over them. There is always the case of artistic licence (or artistic 'ignorance' ... the artist may not have been a military man).

Edited by Clive Temple

16 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The horse belonged to the officer did it not?  Major Browne has removed his sword from his Sam Browne frog and as was usual attached it to its alternative frog on the saddle.  I think Tullochard has correctly identified the situation and what you initially thought was a pip on the shoulder strap of the distressed man in the saddle is his short format cavalry shoulder title.  He also appears to wear a typical soldier’s style (less shaped to the foot) of boots.

Very very true. I'll agree that it's the Trumpeter now, but I do genuinely question one thing.. Lance Corporal Trumpeter (per citation) without a Lance Jack stripe?

Edit: I am also aware it might be an artist omission, etc.

Edited by tankengine888

10 hours ago, Waddell said:

The Bonhams entry doesn't provide a date for the painting but I have to say Major Brown bears some resemblance to Caton Woodville's famous 'Gentleman in Kharki'.

You raise an interesting point Scott. I too see very strong similarities in the style of "'How He Won The VC' and Woodville's "Gentleman in Kharki" ........ and much of Woodville's other work. 

Woodville was a renowned and prolific military subject painter right through to the Great War whereas Gilbert Stewart Wright (pretty sure that should be Gilbert Scott Wright) is exclusively renowned as an equestrian painter of the fox hunting ilk. 

I suspect that "'How He Won The VC' may indeed be Woodville's work.  Simkin, and others, have the the same repetitive trait regarding facial detail. The title "'How He Won The VC' also smacks of Woodville ......... his titles have a similar theatrical ring "In the Nick of Time" (1883), "Entry of the 5th Lancers into Mons" (1919), "The First VC of the European War (1914), "A Narrow Shave! Dragoon in Napoleon's Army 1810" and "All that was left of them" (1902). 

I wonder?

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

You raise an interesting point Scott. I too see very strong similarities in the style of "'How He Won The VC' and Woodville's "Gentleman in Kharki" ........ and much of Woodville's other work. 

Woodville was a renowned and prolific military subject painter right through to the Great War whereas Gilbert Stewart Wright (pretty sure that should be Gilbert Scott Wright) is exclusively renowned as an equestrian painter of the fox hunting ilk. 

I suspect that "'How He Won The VC' may indeed be Woodville's work.  Simkin, and others, have the the same repetitive trait regarding facial detail. The title "'How He Won The VC' also smacks of Woodville ......... his titles have a similar theatrical ring "In the Nick of Time" (1883), "Entry of the 5th Lancers into Mons" (1919), "The First VC of the European War (1914), "A Narrow Shave! Dragoon in Napoleon's Army 1810" and "All that was left of them" (1902). 

I wonder?

Perhaps the face of a popular model used by Woodville. 

3 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Very very true. I'll agree that it's the Trumpeter now, but I do genuinely question one thing.. Lance Corporal Trumpeter (per citation) without a Lance Jack stripe?

Edit: I am also aware it might be an artist omission, etc.

Either an omission or perhaps the trumpeter became a lance corporal subsequently and so became commonly known by that title after the incident.  Either way I think that TullochArd’s points are well made.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

Either an omission or perhaps the trumpeter became a lance corporal subsequently and so became commonly known by that title after the incident.  Either way I think that TullochArd’s points are well made.

Agreed. I'll concede to the fact it is Trumpeter Leigh, after all, it is the caption they use. It was just my speculation with the pistol holster and lanyard.

8 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Agreed. I'll concede to the fact it is Trumpeter Leigh, after all, it is the caption they use. It was just my speculation with the pistol holster and lanyard.

As mentioned all Trumpeters were equipped with a pistol (usually 4” barrel .455 Webley at that time) an open topped leather holster** and a lanyard to secure it around the neck.

**as opposed to the type with flap enclosure purchased by officers as part of their Sam Browne equipment.

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, TullochArd said:

I wonder?

I wonder no more.  I no longer suspect this is the case and I should never have doubted Bonhams.  

That said, Woodville did indeed also produce a painting depicting Maj. Browne and Tpr. Leigh at the VC incident which may be of interest to Clive Temple for his Woking War Memorial project. 

I suspect it does not get as many marks as "How He Won The VC" for historical accuracy ........... not to mention actual probability!  

Woodville.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

34 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

I wonder no more.  I no longer suspect this is the case and I should never have doubted Bonhams.  

That said, Woodville did indeed also produce a painting depicting Maj. Browne and Tpr. Leigh at the VC incident which may be of interest to Clive Temple for his Woking War Memorial project. 

I suspect it does not get as many marks as "How He Won The VC" for historical accuracy ........... not to mention actual probability!  

Woodville.jpg

Indeed!  There would be no reason for a Trumpeter to be wearing a .303 ammunition leather bandolier (he would instead carry a slung trumpet on his back), nor be sounding a bugle in the circumstances portrayed.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks pals ... all much appreciated.

Not quite sure what to make of the second painting. But if pushed I would say he's probably a trumpeter :)