Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather's photo Baghdad

Terry Carter

I've recently been contacted by a distance cousin and she had a studio photograph of my grandfather who served in the 1st Bn. Ox & Bucks Light Infantry in Mesopotamia. Pte Isaac Carter, 19876. He was discharged in October 1919. This is the first photo we've seen of him during WW1 period. And I'm well chuffed to have a copy.

What do you think of the decoration on his collar? Do you think he was having a laugh suggesting to folks back home he was now an officer?

20231015_171038.jpg.4215e337e4820ce0928eb545ee422106.jpg

He has a very damaged partial service record, showing he joined at Warwick 21/7/15 and transferred to Class Z Reserve 11/11/19. When discharged was suffering from malaria.

Entitlement BWM and VM. 

@FROGSMILE might comment on collar insignia?

Edited by charlie962

3 hours ago, Terry Carter said:

What do you think of the decoration on his collar? Do you think he was having a laugh suggesting to folks back home he was now an officer?

Far from any mischief Terry ...... and an interesting photo. 

My understanding (and I stand by to be corrected) is that Oxs and Bucks LI officers adopted this Russian Braid and Button arrangement, which allegedly harked back to times when officers wore gorgets secured by similar, in preference to collar dogs.  When the 1st Battalion went to India in the late 19th century other ranks were given permission, probably locally and at no cost to the Service, to also adopt this peculiarity.

You will notice your relative is wearing his Good Conduct stripes so there is absolutely no case to answer for impersonating an officer!

Edited by TullochArd
......... abysmal spelling corrected

Just now, TullochArd said:

Far from any mischief Terry ...... and an interesting photo. 

My understanding (and I stand by to be corrected) is that Oxs and Bucks LI officers were rather peculiar in adopting this Russian Braid and Button arrangement which allegedly harked back to times when officers wore gorgets secured by similar.  When the 1st Battalion went to India in the late 19th century other ranks were given permission, probably locally and at no cost to the Service, to also adopt this peculiarity.

You will notice your relative is wearing his Good Conduct stripes so there is absolutely no case tio answer for imersobatating an officer!

Ah!

39 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

He has a very damaged partial service record, showing he joined at Warwick 21/7/15 and transferred to Class Z Reserve 11/11/19. When discharged was suffering from malaria.

Entitlement BWM and VM. 

@FROGSMILE might comment on collar insignia?

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, which regiment uniquely favoured a small button and short length of gimp cord as a gorget style collar badge.

Afternote: as per Tullochard above.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 months later...

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Archives - Page 3 of 3 - WW1 Roll Of Honour

On 27/10/2023 at 16:33, FROGSMILE said:

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, which regiment uniquely favoured a small button and short length of gimp cord as a gorget style collar badge.

Afternote: as per Tullochard above.

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Archives - Page 3 of 3 - WW1 Roll Of Honour On this site there are several photos other ranks wearing these collar buttons. 

I see there is a thread from many years ago discussing these. 

1 hour ago, david murdoch said:

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Archives - Page 3 of 3 - WW1 Roll Of Honour

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Archives - Page 3 of 3 - WW1 Roll Of Honour On this site there are several photos other ranks wearing these collar buttons. 

I see there is a thread from many years ago discussing these. 

Here are some more OBLI regimental photos.  Other ranks only wore the gorget button collar badge on khaki drill uniform at that time, so hence subject photo.

NB.  Gorget buttons were the very smallest category of military (regimental) buttons and their most common usage was for chin straps on caps and mess ‘vests’ (waistcoats) worn by officers and sergeants with mess dress uniform.

IMG_1562.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg

IMG_1557.jpeg

IMG_1561.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

IMG_1560.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you so much for clarifying the insignia on my grandfather's collar.

Very interesting to see the pictures, thanks 

35 minutes ago, Terry Carter said:

Thank you so much for clarifying the insignia on my grandfather's collar.

Very interesting to see the pictures, thanks 

I’m glad to help Terry, I hope that you continue to enjoy the forum.

IMG_1564.jpeg

IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1569.jpeg

IMG_1571.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE