Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate Renovation and the Last Post

Mark Hone

I thought that it was a very imaginative touch to use some of the original architect's drawings on the protective covering of the Menin Gate as it is in the process of restoration. Interesting to see the very different lion symbol and wording intended for the top of the Gate, as shown in this photo. 

There were quite large crowds at the Last Post ceremonies we attended recently, even on the Monday night, when the rain was fairly lashing down.  After several years, I still bridle a little at people standing holding their mobile phones high above their heads to film the buglers, but it happens everywhere these days, I suppose. As I mention on another thread,  there were more British school parties than I recall when I brought my last Battlefields Tour to Ieper on the equivalent weekend last year. I am pleased to report that they were well-behaved and respectful before and during the ceremony. Apart from Benoit Mottrie, I must say that I didn't recognise any of the Last Post Association officials in attendance. They did their usual efficient work in marshalling the attendees, including tactfully but firmly removing some thoughtless blokes who were standing on one of the walls. Our thanks, as always, to them and the buglers for their continued dedication. 

IMG-20231022-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Mark Hone

• Mark Hone changed the title to Menin Gate Renovation and the Last Post

I assume that those were the words originally proposed, subsequently refined by Rudyard Kipling into what was eventually engraved onto the Gate. 

Edited by Mark Hone