Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemeteries still "open".

Bob Coulson

Just as a matter of interest could someone confirm that the cemeteries currently used for 1914-18 bodies recovered are,

Belgium - Cement House and France - Terlincthun ?

Bob.

For Belgium. I think officially Cement House is still open. However due to the number of remains found on the old battlefield at Boezinge this cemetery hasn't much possibilities anymore.

At at least 3 times that I know off (certainly more) the remains have been reburied at a cemetery near to the place the remains were found.

1. At Prowse Point Ploegsteert

2. Perth (China Wall) Cemetery Zillebeke

3. Passendale New British Cemetery Passendale

Jacky

Jacky is right. Although there are two cemeteries open 'officially', newly found casualties are sometimes buried elsewhere.

The soldier found on the lip of Lochnagar crater a few years ago was buried in Orvillers not Terlincthun.

I thought CWGC policy was to re-bury a casualty as close as possible to where he was found, and if possible with men of the same unit? I did not think Terlincthun was used any more?

Here at Courcelette a Canadian and an Australian have both been buried; at Ovillers Pte Nugent as Terry mentioned, and in the same row two unknowns of the South Lancs and Gloucs.

Plus the 2/RWF at Gorre Indian with other men from the Red Dragon action - the list goes on... any idea what the policy is Terry?

I believe the original idea was to leave only a small number of cemeteries 'open' and Cement House and Terlincthun were selected.

However, this seems not to have been a hard and fast rule as many burials have occured elsewhere. It seems that now a nearby cemetery with space may be used especially if the casualty has been identified and has comrades in the area.

Cement House would certainly appear to have only a little space left.

Gents,

Many thanks for the interesting replies.

It would appear that the situation is driven more by where men are found and the units they served with as to where they are finally laid to rest.

Bob.