Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Highlander Uniform ww1 or ww2

Grant

Hello, I'm trying to identify the following individual.  He is either Andrew Mackenzie senior who served first world war, or his son Andrew Mackenzie junior who passed away in 1947.

In searching the web I have found a matching uniform from WW1 so I'm leaning to this being ww1 uniform, but is it definitively from that war?  Were the uniforms the same in WW2.

Attached is his picture, only have the top half.

Thank you

in with mackenzies photos, must be Andrew but not sure if jr or senior.jpg

15 hours ago, Grant said:

Hello, I'm trying to identify the following individual.  He is either Andrew Mackenzie senior who served first world war, or his son Andrew Mackenzie junior who passed away in 1947.

In searching the web I have found a matching uniform from WW1 so I'm leaning to this being ww1 uniform, but is it definitively from that war?  Were the uniforms the same in WW2.

Attached is his picture, only have the top half.

Thank you

in with mackenzies photos, must be Andrew but not sure if jr or senior.jpg

Definitely Cameronian’s (Scottish Rifles), as suggested by GT, and not for the first time, a rifleman without the regulation black rifles pattern generic buttons.  These latter were sometimes in short supply via the Ordnance supply chain.  The regimental depot and headquarters was in a barracks shared with the Highland Light Infantry and located in Glasgow.  Quite a number of peacetime recruits had come from that city and the surrounding area.

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_5451.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

here is a set of the Scottish Rifles:

scottishrifles.JPG.aa67a9fdae786bc9d21d2407fedb86d6.JPG

michel

The button was for officers Michel.  Thank you for showing your regimental display.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The button was for officers Michel.  Thank you for showing your regimental display.

thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

michel