Ralph

unk.jpg

391712915_10161323107708980_6368440860251661622_n.jpg

• Admin

Looks like Artillery to me. 

20 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Thanks for the reply

Apart from the cap badge, I was thinking the same and there's a number on the back that if RFA/RGA does connect but the name means nothing to the family.

Could it be that whoever coloured the pic, just fudged it and it is meant to be RFA/RGA ?

54 minutes ago, Ralphed said:

Thanks for the reply

Apart from the cap badge, I was thinking the same and there's a number on the back that if RFA/RGA does connect but the name means nothing to the family.

Could it be that whoever coloured the pic, just fudged it and it is meant to be RFA/RGA ?

I would say whoever coloured that photo didn't just fudge the cap badge, he mangled it nearly beyond recognition. Definitely Royal Artillery.       Pete.

King Edward Horse has been suggested

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Agreed.  Almost certainly a distorted artillery cap badge.  Well spotted Michelle! 👍

2 hours ago, Ralphed said:

Yes 👍

Thanks for the replies and I'm going with RFA. Done a bit of research into a name i was given and it's thrown up 2 RFA men. I've not told the person, just asked if an area and if a woman's name means anything to them.

Thanks again.

Ralph

• Admin
11 hours ago, Ralphed said:

Thanks for the reply

Numbers on the back of photos are usually not  the soldiers number, but a negative/order number. 

The whole photo has an artificial look to it.
The man's hand under the cap looks particularly unnatural, as does most of his uniform from the neck down.

Is the original photo hand coloured and re-touched, or is it the result of some computerised software process.
The latter can be particularly bad at introducing artefacts into images that can invalidate the historical value of the image.

56 minutes ago, PhilB said:

What about the shoulder titles - not artillery?

They’ve been distorted during the colourisation process Phil, just like the cap badge, and with that kept in mind they’re about the right size and configuration for RFA/RGA.

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The whole photo has an artificial look to it.
The man's hand under the cap looks particularly unnatural, as does most of his uniform from the neck down.

Is the original photo hand coloured and re-touched, or is it the result of some computerised software process.
The latter can be particularly bad at introducing artefacts into images that can invalidate the historical value of the image.

I don't think it's a modern process as the photo was found in a box of the persons recently deceased fathers effects.

7 hours ago, Ralphed said:

I don't think it's a modern process as the photo was found in a box of the persons recently deceased fathers effects.

Thanks. It didn't have the feel of an automated colourisation.
Which means that with regard to the cap badge, the photographer has painted in a lot of intricate, but totally incorrect detail.

The crown above, and the scroll below are sort of passable, but the insignia in the middle has totally obscured the cannon in the original print.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

3 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The crown above, and the scroll below are sort of passable, but the insignia in the middle has totally obscured the cannon in the original print.

As you say, the original badge has been largely obscured (and presumably the shoulder titles) - what makes it likely that they were RA/RFA insignia?:unsure:

5 hours ago, PhilB said:

As you say, the original badge has been largely obscured (and presumably the shoulder titles) - what makes it likely that they were RA/RFA insignia?:unsure:

Because the consensus, such as it is, is that the cap badge is a very mangled representation of the RA badge.