Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1903 equipment and SBR - how worn/carried?

4thGordons

Reading a couple of recent threads on equipment for men other than infantrymen (Engineers, Cavalry, Artillery etc) prompted me to reinvigorate my long term effort to put together a representation of a late war P1903 Equipment set, as might have been worn by an Artilleryman. I have a partial set and a mannequin I would like to display this on.  As I was pondering this it occurred to me that I don't know how Small Box Respirators were worn/carried by men equipped with P1903 Bandoliers as it would seem to be a rather awkward arrangement to have the respirator and the bandolier (and potentially the haversack) slung across the chest. Were there official instructions or accepted practices for men equipped with P1903 equipment on how to wear/carry the respirator. Does anyone have any pictures? (an artilleryman would be ideal!)

Thanks in advance

Chris

Essentially like this

IMG_8705.jpeg.493f759b99b3f24f8fe562e013779fff.jpeg

There are lots of examples on the net, I have looked into this a lot and this is how I have done my torso mannequin of an artillery signaller circa 1917, there is also some descriptions of how it all should have been worn in various field service manuals, I will dig that reference out for you tomorrow - BUT looking at photos it doesn’t seem well adhered.

IMG_1338.jpeg.e6972008a5ffdea597068c094996c047.jpeg

OS haversack over left shoulder on first, the the water bottle and SBR over the right shoulder and then the bandolier over the whole lot over the right shoulder.

I will have a look in a couple of my reference books aswell for more photos 

ed

Edited by MrEd

Brilliant - thank you.

Splendid display, congrats

Chris

30 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Brilliant - thank you.

Splendid display, congrats

Chris

Thanks, almost all original and 15-17 dated - the only bits are the OS haversack which is undated but the correct pattern so it will do, and the blue signaller shoulder strips I made because it is unlikely I will ever find a pair. Everything else is Great War dated and original, and as far as you can tell these things the insignia is original to the jacket (matching verdigris on the metal and cloth etc) except the signaller skill-at-arms badge which I added (there were 4 holes in the sleeve already but no badge so I substituted an original in).

looks great thanks for sharing

@4thGordons I haven’t found any photos of gunners with it in the alert position though, but there are plenty of photos of gunners in action with all their equipment stripped off so they are just in tunica or shirt sleeves. 

Do you want me to take a photo if it in the alert position over the top of the bandolier?

If you have time that would be very kind.

I think I have some pictures of cavalry from 1918 with  the bag at alert so don't put yourself out.

Thanks again,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to putting my 2 partial sets side by side to show some of the variations (leather belt vs web, ammunition pouch design etc) - annoyingly I totally forgot to hang an SBR on the later version.... next time :)

1903ab.jpg.0908ea68bdad93929df6d19dea412d99.jpg

1903a1.jpg.cfdf26b3aae11427967ef43fb2543308.jpg

1903B.jpg.728d07d39293abe3692ca07f71509e7d.jpg

Chris

Super mannequins Chris, thank you for sharing, I hope to do a web belt version of the basic OR pistol belt set so these will be a useful guide,

I had completley forgotten about the alert position of the SBR - I will have a re-jig sometime!

also is that early pattern KD jacket? Mandarin collar? 

Edited by MrEd