Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ms. Annie Jane FLynn and her sister Ethel, both of Q.M.A.A.C.

Patrick J. Clarke

Looking for any information of these two people: Annie Jane was born in Dublin, and Ethel was born in Co. Meath, daughters of Mr. Edward and Mrs. Annie Jane Flynn. Father was born in Ballina, Co. Mayo, and mother in Co.Fermanagh. They lived in Ballina for a time as her father worked in the town.

Edited by Patrick J. Clarke

Hello Patrick,

There does not appear to be any military records for Annie, but there are for Ethel. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/48085:62281?tid=&pid=&queryId=6e72b28e5c9822babf52c4d6d874308b&_phsrc=SIn8761&_phstart=successSource 

There are no medal records so medal records, so it seems that they did not serve abroad. I was going to recommend to you a book 'rish Servicewomen in the Great War' by Barbara Walsh. It is a good depiction of Irish women in the W.A.A.C./Q.M.A.A.C., from an Irish point of view. It covers women serving in Ireland, Great Britain and France. It is a very interesting book.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Servicewomen-Great-War-Twenties/dp/1526767945/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2S7F5JVTFOY63&keywords=irish+service+women+in+the+great+war&qid=1698174713&sprefix=irish+servicewomen+in+the+great+war%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-1 

Once the war was over servicemen, and women, could get assisted passage to Canada, Australia and South Africa,and other places. I had a look at my copy of the book and Ethel was mentioned in the index. It appears that she served in the kitchens of a Royal Field Artillery depot at Woolwich until November 1919. She gained assisted passage to Winnipeg along with an older sister, presumably also Q.M.A.A.C., and probably Annie Jane.

Regards,

Alf McM

Patrick,

Ethel Elizabeth Flynn was born in Tullamore, King’s County on 6th July 1894.

Annie Jane Flynn was born in Dublin North on 2nd August 1890.

Their parents, Edward Flynn, Prison Warder, and Annie Jane Wilson.

Annie was certainly Ethel's older sister, so did go to Canada with her.

Regards,

Alf McM

11 hours ago, alf mcm said:

but no Ethel.

Isn't she Ethel Elizabeth in Ireland and Elizbeth in Canada?

I can't see ages very well so may be wrong.

George

I think you're correct George. She is listed as Elizabeth, just below Nancy's name. They are both 27 years old on the census, which is incorrect. Nancy's occupation appears to be 'Domestic' in a private house. Elizabeth could also be a 'Domestic' but was workinG in a hostel.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Patrick, best of luck with your research.

Given the Ballina reference I thought I'd found Annie in the QAIMNS (WO 399 series) but alas that particular individual was from Ballinakill, i.e. Queen's County/Laois, not Co Mayo.

No harm though to check both WO 398 for QMAAC/WAAC and WO 399 for TFNS/QAIMNS. You don't have to go through an Ancestry or FMP paywall to download these particular series of records from Kew.