Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great-Grandfathers service record - Difficulty reading

Nathan Strachan

Hello,

I recently acquired a copy of my great-grandfathers service record and have had a hard time deciphering it. 

I know that "colleen" and "Pembroke II" are stone frigates where he was based but I think I read "HT Daisy" on here too. I know Daisy to have been a converted trawler used for patrols and minesweeping, but can't confirm. 

Robert Strachan Service Record attached as .pdf file.

Thank You! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BT-377-7-132569 Robert Strachan.pdf

He served from 1 May 1915 until14 January 1919 as engineman in a hired drifter baased at Queenstown, Ireland, a the shore base named HMS COLLEEN. There were several such drifters (not all at Queenstown) bearing the name DAISY and you GGF's boat was actually named DAISY VI,  a Banff boat.

naval-history.net :-   DAISY VI, hired drifter, Adty No 2905. Built 1906, 85grt, Banff-reg BF.306. Armament: 1-6pdr. In service 5.15-1919 as net vessel, minesweeper.

He was then drafted to the RN Barracks, Chatham (HMS PEMBROKE ) to be demobilised.

Edited by horatio2

You should try to obtain a copy of "Danger Zone" by E. Keble Chatterton (1934). This book has numerous references to DAISY VI, which the author commanded.

Operations out of Berehaven, storm experiences and salvage awards are among the several topics covered during your GGF's time and will add considerable 'colour' to his rather dull RNR Record Card details.

Edited by horatio2

Ten yeras earlier, the same author in his book "The Auxiliary Patrol" (1923) wrote:

"I found myself ... destined to be on anti-submarine patrol ... in command of H.M. Drifter DAISY VI, with a splendid rough crew of Scotch fishermen [your GGF!]; a gun mounted for'ard, a hold full of rapid-laying nets for trapping U-boats; bombs, rifles and other war-like devices."