Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map of area around Merelbeke, Melle and Lemberge (near Ghent)

Chris_Baker

Slightly off the beaten track here.

I would like to find a contemporary map of the area SE of Ghent in Belgium that shows the area of Merelbeke, Melle and Lemberge. This is to identify a location given in the 1st South Staffords war diary as "Haywyk". It appears to be in the area described, but I can't locate it. The spelling may have been wrong in the first place, and the word ending would today be "wijk". Maps I have found online are either too modern or too ancient!

All links, references or ideas welcome.

The area has changed considerably since 1918 due to the expansion of Ghent.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Chris, TrenchMapper has 3 contemporary maps of this area, in the 1:20,000, 1:40,000 and 1:80,000 scale.  Unfortunately they are nowhere near as 'clean' as the other areas of the Western Front.  This one does have Heywyk SE of Ghent and west of Melle.  I looked for Merelbeke but the writing on the maps are too small.  This one is a 1914, 1:60,000.  Sheet 22 H.36.b.0.3.

Jumping to a map on TrenchMapper is a but clumsy but you can try these map ids yourself: m_011426ma_005630 and m_016620 (1914, 1916 and 1917 respectively).  Then use the opacity slider.  Only the small scale uses the word Heywyk.

Cheers, Bill

Name: Gand
Sheet: 22
Scale: 1:60,000. Edition: 1914 

image.png.f194252ece7c890f08a443c676dcce40.png

Brilliant. That must be it. Right area and spelling not too far off. A bit more north than I was expecting, but perfectly sensible. Thank you.